Author Topic: Smoked Twice Baked Potatoes  (Read 2996 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Smoked Twice Baked Potatoes
« on: March 23, 2015, 06:28:30 PM »
Smoked Twice Baked Potatoes

Ingredients:
2 Large potatoes (poke holes, rub with oil and then season with sea salt, pepper and dry roasted garlic).
ΒΌ cup Half and Half (you can also use milk)
2 T Sour Cream
2 T Melted Butter
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 t cooked and crumbled bacon
Salt & Pepper
Paprika (optional sprinkle on top of potatoes)

I normally smoke the potatoes with my ribs for 5 hours. I make enough for dinner and then a few extra for the twice baked potato recipe a few days later.

For this recipe, smoke the potatoes at 235 degrees (with 2-3 oz. of wood) for five hours and then remove from smoker.

Allow the potatoes to cool and place in a sealed container until you are ready to bake your potatoes. Remove from the refrigerator, cut in half and then scoop out the insides. Mash the potatoes and then mix everything together. Place ingredients into the potato shells and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees in your oven.

Barrel99

Re: Smoked Twice Baked Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 07:25:14 PM »
Sounds good. Why not just mix it up, fill the potatoes and smoke until done...after the potatoes are cooked of course.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 07:34:19 PM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 07:31:44 PM »
This is something that I want to try!   I like the idea of smoking the extra taters with ribs, too.   I was reading a recipe from Jeff Phillips where he does twice smoked potatoes.  He says to smoke them for 3 hours and remove from the smoker, let cool and dig out the potatoes.  I have my doubts about whether the potatoes would be cooked enough at 3 hours to actually dig them out.  Letting them go for the entire 5 hours seems more practical to me.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 08:44:03 PM »
This is something that I want to try!   I like the idea of smoking the extra taters with ribs, too.   I was reading a recipe from Jeff Phillips where he does twice smoked potatoes.  He says to smoke them for 3 hours and remove from the smoker, let cool and dig out the potatoes.  I have my doubts about whether the potatoes would be cooked enough at 3 hours to actually dig them out.  Letting them go for the entire 5 hours seems more practical to me.

Normally in the oven I would go 425 degrees for 1 - 1.5 hours before the potato would be done and then you would dig out the insides and bake again for 15-20 minutes. When I did my potatoes with ribs about 5 hours was right, also this gives you away to have smoked potatoes later in the week.

Also I wonder if you did scoop at 3 hours and smashed the potato and then mixed and put back on the smoker, if it would be to smokey....
Greg
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:55:28 PM by gregbooras »

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 07:30:45 AM »
Also I wonder if you did scoop at 3 hours and smashed the potato and then mixed and put back on the smoker, if it would be to smokey....
Greg

I think so...this is what Jeff Phillips from smoking-meat.com suggests...3 hours on the smoker, dig out the potato, etc and then back on the smoker.   I am not sure, though, that the potatoes will be done enough at 3 hours so that you could scoop out the insides.   The next time I do ribs, I am going to try this out...let the taters go for 3 hours, remove and cool, dig out, mash and reassemble, and then back in the smoker until the ribs are done.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2