Author Topic: Beginner's Essentials  (Read 4072 times)

Smokin Texas Aggie

Beginner's Essentials
« on: March 19, 2015, 05:24:34 PM »
Howdy everyone! I would like to know what you think are the essentials that every smokin-it owner should have in their "bbq tool bag". So, whatcha got?
Joe - Tulsa, OK

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Beginner's Essentials
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 05:52:07 PM »
Joe,

Maverick 733 or 735 wireless BBQ Meat Thermometer
Thermapen Digital Food/BBQ Super-Fast Thermometer (read in 3 seconds or less)
Mayhew 2-3/4 in. x 9 in. Guardian Handguard Electrician Chisel. You can pick one up at Homedepot for $11.00 and it works great on chunks.
Silicone BBQ Gloves (amazon good to about 450 degrees about $15.00)
Not needed but fun for pulled pork or instead of the Silicone BBQ Gloves Bear Claws ($12.99 Amazon)

I like Maine Grilling Woods, they have some sample packs and also you can purchase small quantities, since your new smoker wont use as much as other brands.

I also buy 18" foil from Costco (2 x 150' heavy duty foil) $13.00 and throw away half pans (30 for $6.99).
Half loaf pans at Dollar Tree (3 for $1.00)

Also not a must, but a few cold ones, while you create the perfect meal!

Greg

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:50:40 PM by gregbooras »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 07:51:04 PM »
Here's what I consider the essentials, Joe.

Basics for New Owners
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 07:54:28 PM »
Tony is right, the digital scale is a must!

Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 07:23:54 AM »
Maybe just the geek in me, but I like this App :)

The Pit Pal BBQ App was built with the end goal of being able to help produce more consistent barbecue for backyard cooks, competitors, as well as caterers and even restaurateurs.

Through it's easy to use interface, The Pit Pal enables more consistent barbecue through the use of historical tracking of cooks and results taking into account common barbecue variables such as the temperature and duration of the cook, or the sauce/rub combination, or even the type of wood used or the weather at the time of the cook. Consistency is the key to great barbecue.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 10:03:04 AM »
Lots of regular yellow mustard.  Base for ribs before the rub gets applied.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 01:16:40 PM »
All good advice here.   I also got a cheese/hot pepper pizza shaker that I use to apply the rubs, and I buy boxes of non-latex gloves from Home Depot for handling the meat.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

jbauch357

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 09:02:15 PM »
Thermapen (validation of temp is a wonderful thing) - http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00GRFHXVQ

A secondary set of meat and cabinet temp probes are great, take your pick, there are a variety of options.

The Auber is an absolute requirement for me.

Silicone grill mats are required for smaller cold-ish smoke recipies.

Relief holes in the fire box have been a huge improvement for me too, though that option may not be highly reviewed or approved.

A variety of wood types, always go large chunks or hunks, you can cut them smaller depending on how your fire box and element behave.

The water tray is debatable, I just use left over empty beer cans and open them up on the side then lay them against the fire box.  So far so good, and no excessive humidity like I fought on my masterbuilt gasser smoker.
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 09:49:36 PM »
In the past I have always used Zip lock bags, but this is much better.

http://shop.thebriner.com/main.sc

The Briner Jr easily fits into the refrigerator without removing shelves. Conveniently brine a whole chicken or pork shoulder.  Make restaurant quality food more often.  Great for chicken pieces, pork chops, shrimp, chicken wings or a few fish filets.
 8 quart capacity, measures 10.5" high, 8.75" diameter
The Briner completely resolves the #1 challenge to successful brining - floating food!  Our Patent Pending design has an internal locking system that keeps food completely submerged in the brine solution.  Simple design, easy to use & clean, consistently great results.  A must have in every foodie's kitchen.
Includes:  22 quart Vessel; Locking Plate; Snap Tight Lid; Instructions with brine table for most popular food types and sizes.  No guesswork.  Make great food the first time, and every time.
Holds whole turkeys up to 25 lbs, up to 4 whole chickens, several pork shoulders, up to 20 large fish filets.
Designed to fit nicely into a popular cube shaped cooler to be packed in ice if your short on frig space.
Made of high quality food grade plastic materials in the USA.
Measures 15.75" tall, 12.50" dameter