Author Topic: Cold Smoking In Hot Climates.  (Read 4913 times)

Limey

Cold Smoking In Hot Climates.
« on: March 18, 2015, 10:17:16 AM »
Cold smoking in the Florida Keys is a real challenge. Highs in the day(during the winter) run 80+ with lows at night around 70. Even with cold plates, ice bottles and Pork Belly's door opening techniques it is impossible, for me at least, to smoke cheese successfully. I finally broke down and installed an external smoke generator which seems to work well. I took a Smoke Daddy Big Kahuna and strapped it on to my SI3 using two of the SI cord hangers and slightly longer bolts in the preexisting holes-no drilling required. A brass faucet connector and length of hose inserted into the SI's top vent completed the rig. The smoke enters the top of the box and exits out of the vent at the bottom, as well as some escaping from the top vent. The box itself is obviously not plugged in. So far a couple of smokes have turned out very well with no significant softening of the cheese in spite of not using any ice.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Cold Smoking In Hot Climates.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »
Nice Job! I like it!  8)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 11:13:20 AM »
Very similar issues for much of the year in LA. This may be an option for me. Thanks. Very creative. I assume you drop the tube down near the smoke box.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 11:31:19 AM »
You could rig that unit up to a dorm size fridge by drilling through the sidewall. That would allow you a cool enviroment for long cold smokes of meat and fish. Dorm fridges are only about $125 around back to school time.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Limey

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 12:01:10 PM »
Walt-I have two different hose lengths, one goes about six inches inside the box the other reaches down to the smoker box. The smoke is cool enough that it tends to fall rather than rise in the box. I got the longer length primarily so that I could introduce smoke reliably into my grills.
Brian-I already considered this and plan to convert an unused kegerator for this purpose, simply running the hose into the hole in the freezer lid that the spigot now occupies. The kegerator is a small chest freezer that I converted using a different temperature controller so there is lots of refrigeration capacity. If you plan on converting a dorm fridge be careful that you do not drill into any refrigerant lines in the side walls- I have done this and ruined a freezer. Incidentally, thanks for all your helpful tips on this forum.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 01:34:27 PM »
My sons dorm fridge appears to be an insulated box. The cooling is done from the freezer section on top. There may be cooling lines in the wall but it doesn't appear so.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Barrel99

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 02:29:44 PM »
Nice job Roger. I was just looking at the options yesterday to see how I could hook up an external smoke generator. You probably could pump the smoke in the bottom and use the jerky dryer on top to make jerky also.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 08:27:44 PM »
Great idea! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!