Author Topic: Questions (lots) regarding smoking cheese.  (Read 7663 times)

dsskid

Questions (lots) regarding smoking cheese.
« on: March 18, 2015, 08:36:26 AM »
    I have the #1, and the cold plate.  Looking to do my first cheese smoke, but I have a lot of questions, so thanks for your patience.

• So I put the cold plate on the rack closest to the chip box correct?
    • Which side up, if it matters?
    • On top of the cold plate, I fill an aluminum lasagna pan (1/2 tray size) with ice?  Will one pan last the entire smoke?
    • What temp do I set the smoker to?
    • I'm aiming for an internal temp of 65-80?
    • Use my maverick probe to measure smoker temp, not cheese temp, correct?
    • How long should I smoke it for as to give a nice smoke flavor, but not overpowering?
    • Should I use chips or chunks?  How much?
    • The flavors I have are Apple, Cherry, Hickory, and Misquite.  I know it's personal preference, but since I never smoked cheese I don't have a preference yet, so which is most pleasing to the majority?
    • Can I mix cheeses?  I'd like to do chedder, gouda, swiss and Mozzerella.

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to achieve a decent level of success on my first cheese smoke.

Thanks in advance for the advice and patience.

John

John, from Long Island, NY

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Questions (lots) regarding smoking cheese.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:39:14 AM »
I am going to answer these but realize all the answers are in the forum if you would read a few posts.  I am not "yelling" with the bold and all caps. I did a copy and paste on your question, I'm just trying to keep it easy to read and not miss a question. Cheese is best a few days after a smoke so wrap it and allow to rest. I recommend using a smaller grate under the cheese. a grate or baking cooling rack with thin but tightly spaced wires give more support to soft warm cheese. Be sure to reposition the cheese every hour so smoke is not blocked from any part but the grates, it also allows you to check the texture to insure it is not too soft.

So I put the cold plate on the rack closest to the chip box correct? YES
    Which side up, if it matters?I DON'T BELIEVE IT MATTERS
    On top of the cold plate, I fill an aluminum lasagna pan (1/2 tray size) with ice?  Will one pan last the entire smoke? YES, I THINK FREEZING A FOIL PAN OF WATER IS BETTER THAN CUBES, SOME PEOPLE USE FROZEN BOTTLES OF WATER IN THE PAN
    What temp do I set the smoker to?START AT 250 WITH THE DOOR OPEN BACK IT DOWN TO 80 WHEN YOU HAVE GOOD SMOKE THEN CLOSE THE DOOR
    I'm aiming for an internal temp of 65-80? NO, IT FOR CHEESE SMOKES
    Use my maverick probe to measure smoker temp, not cheese temp, correct?YES, IF YOU CAN SET IT TO ALARM ON HIGH BOX TEMP OVER 90 THAT WOULD BE GOOD BUT EVEN LESS IS BETTER This would allow you to run out an open the smoker to cool it.
    How long should I smoke it for as to give a nice smoke flavor, but not overpowering? DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH SMOKE YOU LIKE I wouldn't do less than 2 hours
    Should I use chips or chunks?  How much? 3 OZ OF CHIPS
    The flavors I have are Apple, Cherry, Hickory, and Misquite.  I know it's personal preference, but since I never smoked cheese I don't have a preference yet, so which is most pleasing to the majority?
APPLE IS GREAT ON CHEESE
    Can I mix cheeses?  I'd like to do chedder, gouda, swiss and Mozzerella. YES TO MIXING, ALL THOSE CHEESES ARE GOOD SMOKED

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

dsskid

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 09:57:24 AM »
Thank you. 

Not quite understanding "I'm aiming for an internal temp of 65-80? NO, IT FOR CHEESE SMOKES"  When I sad internal temperature, I meant the temperature of the smoker, not the cheese. 
John, from Long Island, NY

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 10:05:45 AM »
Brian pretty much covered most of your questions. So, I only have a few comments. Regarding your follow-up question Brian was only saying that you do not monitor internal temps of the cheese.

I use water frozen water bottles, but if you use a tray of ice (either block or cubes), make sure you put a foil cover over it. You do not want any additional moisture in the smoker.

You should be shooting for smoker temps for 60-80 with a max of 90 for hard cheeses. If you are using a fresh mozzarella that is pretty soft, your temps should be even lower or you will have a melted mess.

As far as time, most will say that you should smoke until the cheese gets to the color you want. My last smoke went for 5 hours and at the time, I thought it was way overpowering. But after a couple of weeks of aging, it is perfect. I have some cheese in the fridge that has been aging for close to two months. I have some new stuff waiting to be smoked later this week. If you don't want to wait that long to eat your cheese, I wouldn't smoke for longer than 2-3 hours. But in the end, this won't be quite as good as a longer smoke with a longer mellowing period. This is my opinion anyhow.

As far as wood, definitely use chips or chunks that you have cut/shaved down to smaller pieces. When smoking at the lower temps, it will be tough to keep the chunks still smoldering.

Apple is definitely great on cheese and is probably the most popular as it is a light flavored smoking wood. But, pecan, peach, and Hickory would be fine too. I would probably stay away from Mesquite and Oak as they are pretty potent woods that will overpower the cheese too much. I typically save Mesquite and Oak for beef as it can handle the deep smoke better.

Definitely mix your cheeses. I would recommend throwing some Mozzarella String Cheese sticks on too. They are one of my favorites.

Good luck on your smoke and make sure to take and post some pictures.

One last thing, the cheese will be VERY smoky right out of the smoker and if you try it, you will think that the batch was ruined. Don't let this worry you. Let hard cheeses rest on your counter until any moisture on them has dissipated (don't dab or wipe the moisture off). Then, vacuum seal and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 week (2-4 even better) unless you only did a light smoke.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 11:25:37 AM »
I've done 4 batches of cheese and I would consider them all as successful.  My opinion regarding time is that the amount of wood has a far greater impact on the amount of smoke flavor than the amount of time in the smoker.  None of my smokes have gone longer than an hour and a half.  One of my batches where I got a little carried away with the wood was very borderline too smoky.  For your very first cheese smoke, stay around 2 oz. of wood.  Don't be afraid to go intermittent periods of turning the smoker on and off to control the temperature of the smoker box.  My strategy has been to smoke until the chips are spent and no longer producing smoke, let the cheese rest in the smoker about another 30 minutes with no power and pull the cheese.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 12:07:27 PM »
Any special tips on Mozzarella, I want to smoke a couple of pounds for pizza.

Thanks Greg

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 02:52:16 PM »
Can you do a cold smoke without having a PID? I just looked at the dial on my #1 and the dial shows 100 as the lowest temperature. Or do you use the Maverick to monitor the temperature?
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 05:37:24 PM »
You can use the Maverick to monitor smoker temperature but I wouldn't try cold smoking unless you were using a separate smoke generator at this time of year.  I like to have a 25 - 30 degree window for smoking off the SI element to accommodate heat gain during the smoke.  So, depending on what region of the country one lives in, that might mean Fall when morning temps are in the 40's to low 50's.  The separate smoke generators can work if you load the smoker up with ice because there isn't much heat gain with a smoldering tray of pellets or sawdust. 

coachB

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 06:42:36 PM »
The cold plate with the Jerky Dryer and an AMNPS works well without having to run the heating element at all.  The ice keeps the box temp low and the Dryer creates enough airflow that the pellets stay smoking after the torch ignition.  It does involve three extra investments in gadgetry but they can also be used with long bacon smokes, some sausages, etc. where low or no heat is desired, just smoke.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

elkins20

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 07:10:19 PM »
Just a little bit ago the temperature on my front porch was 96 degrees. I live in the midwest. This morning the temperature at 9:00 am was 77 degrees. And the last 2 days had a strong southerly wind. So the humidity is way high also. Was thinking about trying to smoke almonds.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Limey

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 07:27:47 PM »
I have a totally different approach to this problem and it involves separating the heat and the smoke generation, essentially treating the SI as just an insulated box. I strap on an EXTERNAL smoke generator to the SI (actually a Big Cahuna from Smoke Daddy) and applying smoke as needed, and, if necessary, heat as needed e.g. fish smoking. I used this technique on my first SI#3 down in the Keys and it worked so well that I have replicated it on my second SI#3 at my house in upstate NY. For details see my post "Cold Smoking in a Hot Climate". Sorry I do not know how to do links-somebody please help!
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 11:42:23 PM »
Hey Roger,

Here is a link for the Smoke Daddy Big Kahuna Cold Smoke Generator.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E683PI6/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=59336916290&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9281422279485361559&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3wrnm2khxw_b
I'd sooner stick a screwdriver in my eye than have to drill another hole in my SS.  LOL! 

elkins20

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 09:48:51 AM »
I really am not looking to do cheese, but am really after info on almonds. Also Tony has instructed me how to do jerky without a cold smoke. Since I have a dehydrator he said to smoke at 145 for a couple of hours and finish at 140 in the dehydrator.. And will use the Smoky Mountain Jerky rub and cure...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 11:15:22 AM by elkins20 »

Limey

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 03:19:49 PM »
Dave, you do not have to drill any holes at all. Just use two of the existing screws at the top of the SI to attach two cord hangers and use these to attach the smoke generator. It's a five minute job. My original post has pics.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.