Author Topic: Too much smoke?  (Read 6869 times)

jbauch357

Too much smoke?
« on: March 16, 2015, 01:29:08 PM »
I made up some bacon wrapped chicken bites dusted with dry rub this weekend.  After 2hrs of heavy apple wood smoke at 225 they were 160+ IT so I pulled them and had a taste...  But there wasn't any taste, not in the bacon, nor the chicken - they just tasted like (perfectly cooked tender and juicy) nondescript pieces of incredibly smoky protein.

So far I've not found anything to be too smoky, if anything I'm lacking smoke (and have been experimenting with adding additional flame holes to the smoker box, but that is a different conversation) but am wondering if I swung in the opposite direction this time.

So maybe a stupid question, is it possible to literally smoke all of the flavor out of the meat? 
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Too much smoke?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 02:19:17 PM »
I think that too much smoke masks every other flavor profile in the food or rubs applied.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 02:46:45 PM »
Too much smoke will definitely hide the flavors. How much wood did you use?
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

jbauch357

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 03:00:55 PM »
I actually tried a different approach this smoke with wood placement.  I ordered up a big bag of apple wood chunks, then split them to about 1/4" thick panels and lined the bottom of the tray - the hunks were big enough that it only took 1 piece split into about 5 panels to line the whole thing.  How much did that hunk weigh?  I have no idea. 

During initial ramp up there was an obscene amount of smoke, way more than I'd seen before, which I thought was exactly what I wanted for a quick smoke like this...  But I think I've swung too far into the heavy smoke arena, and need to back off with the next try.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 03:02:36 PM by jbauch357 »

Barrel99

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 03:03:31 PM »
Was it white or dark meat chicken?
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

jbauch357

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 03:20:30 PM »
White meat breast chunks cut into ~1 inch squares, wrapped with a half piece of thick cut bacon, held together with a toothpick and topped with some pepper and dry rub.  The meat and bacon temperature/consistency/moisture were all perfect, it just had absolutely zero flavor other than smoke.

Barrel99

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 03:49:34 PM »
My experience has been that chicken, especially white meat, that hasn't been marinated or brined for at least 24 hours has little taste. The rub by itself does nothing to enhance the flavor otherwise. That's just my opinion. Also, if you used too much smoke there would be a bitter taste,  creosote, that you would be able to tell immediately.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

tall paul

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 07:52:18 PM »
If I understand you correctly, your complaint is not enough smoke flavor. I think it’s your wood, apple doesn't have a real strong smoke like hickory or oak. I experienced the same initially, I was using some pecan wood that was several years old that I had used with another smoker. I don't know if the wood had "seasoned" too long or it was just too mild.  I switched to hickory and scraps of white oak from my shop and get stronger smoke flavor now. I soak the small chips and boat all of it so it will last longer and use more than I read that most here do.
Model #2
Paul from OKC

jbauch357

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 01:53:13 PM »
Actually it was too much smoke this time, with other times it has been not enough. 

I played with two variables (new wood and additional flame holes in the fire box) and paid for it.  Doing a test smoke now with wood I'm familiar with and adjusted placement over the new holes, things are looking much better.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 03:03:58 PM »
additional flame holes in the fire box
I would like to see a picture of that.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

jbauch357

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 03:29:32 PM »
additional flame holes in the fire box
I would like to see a picture of that.

testing on additional holes as well as wood placement continues, I should have an update by tonight or tomorrow sometime based on a test smoke happening right now.