Author Topic: Auber what if question?  (Read 4618 times)

Carp210

Auber what if question?
« on: March 16, 2015, 11:08:12 AM »
Maybe someone with experience can shed some light on this.
If you did multiple autotunes on the same smoker using different heat sinks (sand, brick, water, rocks) and then used different weights (say 3lb, 12 lb, 22lb) and lastly put these in different locations within the smoker will you get a wide range of PID values?  Does it even matter?   :-\
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.

jbauch357

Re: Auber what if question?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 01:52:18 PM »
I would think yes, it will very much impact the results of the auto-tune PID results.  The Auber is basically seeing how quickly the cabinet heats up and cools down based on how often it is cycling the heating element.  Having larger/smaller amounts of material in the box (as well as what the initial temp of those materials are, how quickly they heat soak, etc) will significantly impact cabinet temps and thus also impact your auto-tune PID results.

After reading through the Auber manual 3-4 times, I decided to change my auto-tune settings to a custom configuration which seemed more appropriate than what came from the auto-tune.  So far I've seen as large as a +/- 10 degree initial swing (if you have a large wood load there isn't much the Auber can do about it once that load catches) from set point as the box settles in, but once it lands on target it never moves.
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

Carp210

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 04:46:29 PM »
Josh,
How do you come up with a custom configuration? This is all new to me.  You are right as far as I can tell that once it settles on a target it locks in.

jbauch357

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 05:14:36 PM »
Look at page 12 here - http://auberins.com/images/Manual/WSD-1200GPH/WSD-1200GPH_v1.0.pdf

I had to read this about 6 times, then print it off and read it another 6 times, then highlight the important parts so I could wrap my brain around it.  Each of the P / I / D settings have a direct impact on how the controller adjusts duty cycle on the element to reach target temperature without overshooting it, then maintain that temperature.  Wik also has his explanation of each in this thread - http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1285.0

Based on:
- The large swing in auto-tune settings based on what I placed in the smoker
- What the original values were
- What I read and (think I) understand out of the above link

I went with the below settings in my #2.  If I have a large load of wood and minimal protein,  I get as much as a 10 degree overshoot on initial warm up, and it might drop again down to 10 under target, then it'll creep up to set temp and stay there for good.  If I have a big hunk of protein in there warm up takes a bit longer, but I get at most 1-2 degrees of overshoot before settling in.

P - 50
I - 750
D - 150
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 05:21:42 PM »
I think if someone simulated auto tunes with different loads and noted the PID values, they could enter manual PID values to match the smoke load. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Carp210

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 05:29:47 PM »
Thanks Josh,
that is what I was looking for, someone to lead the way.  what would we do without the internet.  Time do get busy, who would have guessed, homework at my age.  Hope I'm not to old to grasp it.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 07:09:39 PM »
I'm usually "all in" when it comes to analysis and experimentation, but I believe you all be getting wrapped up in an exercise of futility.  Here's why... The autotune is designed to "learn" the characteristics of your particular smoker, and should never have to be changed, once it's dialed-in and accurate.  The "meat load" does not matter; if it did, you'd have to change your tuning settings with different smokes.  My 1503CPH unit has undergone one autotune in the last 1 1/2 years, and is dead-on accurate no matter what I'm smoking with it. 

Now, will there be times when the autotune results may have to be "tweaked" a bit?  Sure.  I know some have had to do it, but I'm not sure why.  The bottom line is get it where it holds within a degree or two and don't mess with it anymore.

I also believe the heat sink used during the autotune does make a difference.  You need something that will absorb heat (like meat does), not reflect it (like foil does).  This is why the dry bricks seem to work best.  They'll heat up, and retain heat like meat does, so the box temp will be more stable during the on/off cycles.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 07:27:33 PM »
Me too, one autotune and we are still spot on.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Walt

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 10:17:42 PM »
Do what cranks your motor. However, Tony is absolutely correct. One good autotune & your DONE!
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

1stlink

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 03:04:54 PM »
1 and done here.. working great.