Author Topic: Cover alternatives  (Read 13306 times)

aspenextreme03

Cover alternatives
« on: March 12, 2015, 04:35:20 PM »
I am opening the model 2 today and just missed the free cover promotion by a couple of days. I doubt Steve put on in there but if he did not what do you all do for a cover outside of ordering one from the website? 
Eric from Marietta, GA
Smokin-It Model 2, Weber Genesis & Blackstone Pizza Oven

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Cover alternatives
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 04:53:05 PM »
My #3 has sat outside, uncovered on the deck since I bought it last June. No problems or issues because of it.

I do plan on a good hot water bath for it once the weather stays warm. I want a black cover but haven't pulled the trigger because I haven't decided on the cart yet.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

aspenextreme03

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 04:57:06 PM »
Do you put anything over the vent hole on top or is that not a problem if water gets inside?
Eric from Marietta, GA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 05:21:22 PM »
Depending on where your smoker is relative to rain, you might want to cover the top hole just to avoid water running inside the unit.   I have a cover on my #2, but it is also under the roof eve on my deck so it gets little rain or snow, unless it is coming in from the side.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 05:48:53 PM »
Inexpensive cover alternative is a blue tarp.  LOL!  Or, look at your home improvement store for an AC / swamp cooler cover. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

paidin

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 05:59:32 PM »
I do this to keep the water out of the bunghole
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 06:45:52 PM »
I don't worry about the vent hole while it is sitting or while smoking.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

aspenextreme03

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 11:46:01 PM »
Ordered a classic accessories square cover on amazon tonight. If it works i will let you all know as it was $22 with free ship with prime. The dimensions are good for depth and width. It is about 3 inches to tall but that wont bother me.  I have this brand of cover for my weber and it is great and best cover i ever have had.

Thought about the smokin it one but it was $29.99 and $15 shipping which honestly i was a little thrown off by the high shipping.

Worst case it does not work and amazon is easy returns. Will update when i get it and test it out just in case anyone wants and alternative and was like me who missed the free cover offer by a day or two.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:51:13 PM by aspenextreme03 »
Eric from Marietta, GA

Durangosmoker

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 04:46:26 PM »
I use an old vinyl (cloth backed) picnic table tablecloth to cover my #2.  Just cover the unit as evenly as I can, and wrap some clothesline around the whole unit (like ribbon on a package).  Never had a problem, and it keeps the water (and snow) out.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

tsax6010

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 10:11:44 AM »
I bought my #2 last spring and it came with the black cover for free. Unfortunately after a year of sitting on my uncovered deck in NE Ohio the cover is shot - the color is completely faded to a sickly gray with a pink logo, and it ripped about 3 inches down one of the seams when the wind caught hold of it and the cover snagged on the corner of the smoker.

I considered buying another one from Smokin-It, but with the quality issues there is no way I am paying $15 to ship one of these every year when it inevitably fails again. I have a premium all 304 stainless grill costing over $3k with a great cover that only costs $80. Comparably, for the $45 that this small cover costs shipped I expect a much higher quality - ie - vinyl lined canvas or something. Not this thin, easily faded and ripped product.

I cannot find another solution however. Looking at the Classic Accessories smoker covers on Amazon they are all slightly too small fitting smokers up to 17"x20" where the #2 is 17.25"x21.5"

I would be willing to pay more for a quality cover that does not need replacing every year and protects my smoker investment.
- Dana
NE Ohio
Smokin-It Model 2, Lion Premium Grills L90000

paidin

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 10:20:41 AM »
maybe find the right material and get a local person to sew it together for you?  That might work without being too expensive.
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!

tsax6010

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 11:10:54 AM »
I have thought about that. I happen to work for, lets say, a major national retailer specializing in fabrics and crafts.

I think I would have to buy my wife a very expensive commercial quality sewing machine to get through sewing the two thick materials together. She swears that there is no way for her current machine to do it.

I really wish Smokin-It would offer a more premium quality cover accessory to go with their premium quality smokers. Oh, and reasonable shipping charges too. This current cover weighs as close to nothing as you can get.
- Dana
NE Ohio
Smokin-It Model 2, Lion Premium Grills L90000

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 01:09:42 PM »
I don't have one yet, Dana, but the camo covers (from what Steve told me) are much better quality than the black ones.  My smokers sit on a covered porch, so the black covers have held up well for the last 2 years.  Maybe someone with a camo cover can comment?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 02:18:03 PM »
Ordered a classic accessories square cover on amazon tonight. If it works i will let you all know as it was $22 with free ship with prime. The dimensions are good for depth and width. It is about 3 inches to tall but that wont bother me.  I have this brand of cover for my weber and it is great and best cover i ever have had.

Thought about the smokin it one but it was $29.99 and $15 shipping which honestly i was a little thrown off by the high shipping.

Worst case it does not work and amazon is easy returns. Will update when i get it and test it out just in case anyone wants and alternative and was like me who missed the free cover offer by a day or two.

I bought the same cover for my grill and it works great. For the smoker I have the black cover, if goes bad I may replace it with the classic also.

Keep us posted on the fit, got to love Amazon Prime!

Greg

aspenextreme03

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 07:11:20 AM »
Fit is pretty good. A little tight in areaa but not bas. I put a small platic box upside down on top and then put the cover on so it keeps the rain off the top.
Eric from Marietta, GA