Author Topic: 1st Try with a Turkey Breast  (Read 7250 times)

Steve@KC

• Love that BBQ!
1st Try with a Turkey Breast
« on: March 07, 2015, 11:25:07 AM »
Doing my 3rd smoke with my SI2 model (previously smoked 2 whole spatchcocked chickens and a 8 lb. pork butt (both came out delicious- love this smoker!) and am going to try a 9 Lb. Turkey breast. It's currently brining away in my refrigerator and am planning to take it out after 10 hours, rinse it, put on the rub tonight, then let it sit in the refrigerator overnight and smoke it tomorrow morning. My question is there any advantage to trying to spatchcock the turkey breast or should I leave whole and stuff the cavity with onion, carrots and celery? I've seen both methods discussed but can't figure out best method?

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: 1st Try with a Turkey Breast
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 01:34:53 PM »
If you have the time and space bone in and whole is best. At least that is how I would do it. I have spatchcocked whole turkeys before in my #3. Those turned out great very moist and fast smoking.

Did you do your chickens and butt at the same time or two smokes? Try pealing back some of the skin to get the rub directly in contact with the meat. Good luck.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Steve@KC

• Love that BBQ!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 02:00:36 PM »
The 2 chickens were done on my first smoke and the pork butt was done on my second smoke. Since the birds were done at 250 F for 4 1/2 hours and the butt needed 10 1/2 hours at 225 it would have been difficult to do both at the same time. Maybe someone with a lot of experience could pull this off but not a newbie like me!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 02:03:53 PM »
I would leave the breast together.  My turkey breast don't have a cavity where I could stuff onions, etc, so I am not sure about that.   My breasts are typically in the 7# range and would take 4-4.5 hours to reach 165IT.   With 9#s, make sure you allow enough time to reach 165IT.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Steve@KC

• Love that BBQ!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 05:11:15 PM »
I was figuring about 6 or 6 1/2 hours but I'll start early enough in the day to have enough time to get to 165 degree internal temperature in case it runs a little longer. I was planning on using 2 ounces of peach wood and 2 ounces of pecan. Think that's too much wood?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 01:29:55 PM »
I think you will be fine with 4 oz, and sweet woods as well...should be a winner.   If the breast does finish early, you can wrap it in foil to hold the temp and let the juices redistribute through the meat.  I suspect 6-6.5 hours will be plenty enough.   Let us know how you make out...pics are nice too!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Steve@KC

• Love that BBQ!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 03:30:22 PM »
I am a little worried. After just 3 1/2 hours my maverick probe is saying the breast is at 163 degrees! It started at 37 degrees when I started the smoke and I've been cooking at 250 degrees (maverick has been reading smoker temps between 235 and 257). I thought I'd hit a stall sometime but so far that hasn't happened. 3 1/2 -4 hours just doesn't seem enough for an almost 9 pound bone in turkey breast? Has anyone else cooked this large a breast in just 3 hours and 45 minutes?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 03:34:09 PM »
The turkey breast will hit a stall, so don't worry about that.   The temp probe placement may be giving you a higher temp reading that actual...did you push the probe well into the breast but not reaching the bone?   When the breast reaches 165IT on your probe, you may want to use another remote therm just to check in a couple other places within the breast.  Or, you could remove the probe and re-insert in another location, but again, you want the probe to be well inserted into the breast.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 03:36:06 PM »
The other effect could be your set temp of 250F...when I do 7# breasts, I usually set my temp for 225-230F.  Given the higher temp setting, it is possible that your breast is finishing quicker than expected.   I would still check with another remote therm to be sure that you have 165IT...if so, then you can always remove it and double foil wrap to hold the temp until you are ready to serve.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Steve@KC

• Love that BBQ!
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 04:46:24 PM »
Yep, did check breast temperature with a second probe and it confirmed my 8.90 pound turkey breast was at 165 degrees in 3 hours and 55 minutes! I'm wondering if this is a record! I cooked it at 250 because most of the other people on this blog seemed to have cooked turkeys and turkey breasts at 250 degrees. I have it wrapped up right now and will take a picture of it and slice it up in an hour or two. Hopefully it will be cooked all of the way through (that's my biggest concern).

bigbassnutt

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 04:57:55 PM »
I cooked a whole turkey, don't remember the exact weight but I would say around 9 pounds, took right at 4 hours at 275 degrees. Just smoked a 4 pound chicken yesterday at 275 that took 3 hours. I stuffed the turkey with onions, celery and carrots and for the chicken I used onions, apples, celery and fresh garlic.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

bigbassnutt

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 05:05:08 PM »
Here is a pic of the chicken...
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 08:50:20 PM »
When smoking poultry, most people are waiting around for the dark meat to catch up.  A turkey breast would go rather quickly as there isn't any muscle tissue to break down.  Stalls occur with tough meats because of the muscle tissue. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 09:04:22 PM »
I smoke a whole 15lb turkey at 250 in about 5.5 hours. So, your time for a 9lb breast sounds pretty normal to me.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Steve@KC

• Love that BBQ!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 10:30:35 PM »
Well I did carve up the breast after I had it wrapped in foil for 45 minutes. It was very juicy, delicious and was done down to the bone! I guess an almost 9 pound bone-in turkey breast can be smoked in just 4 hours! This is my 3rd smoke with the SI#2 and I do like this smoker a lot! It's easy, takes very little wood and the meat comes out tasting so good!