Author Topic: Anyone have the thermoworks chefalarm?  (Read 3907 times)

aspenextreme03

Anyone have the thermoworks chefalarm?
« on: March 05, 2015, 09:02:11 PM »
Anyone have this and if so what are your opinions?
Eric from Marietta, GA
Smokin-It Model 2, Weber Genesis & Blackstone Pizza Oven

Paulsan

Re: Anyone have the thermoworks chefalarm?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 01:04:15 PM »
I just got one during the open box sale. They make good stuff. I haven't tried in the smoker yet, but am using it today for some salmon.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 01:35:15 PM »
I have an Thermapen Digital Thermometer made from the same company and have been very happy with it.

But for the smoker I wanted a remote, so I ended up with the Maverick 733. The only issue I have with the Maverick is it's a bit of a pain to set.

Greg

aspenextreme03

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 10:57:54 AM »
I ended up getting the marverick 732 as I got it from around $40.  I only use the meat probe as used rv silicone to seal the probe and so far so good.  I love the remote functionality where I can talk around.
Eric from Marietta, GA
Smokin-It Model 2, Weber Genesis & Blackstone Pizza Oven

es1025

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 06:36:44 AM »
I have the chef alarm, have not used it yet, but if as good as the thermopen its a winner. I have the high heat kit and its great. I had a maverick for a while and then the probes went on the fritz. I bought a little better quality product. I even siliconed the probes.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

1stlink

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 10:29:37 AM »
 My experience with Thermoworks is all good. However, I don't have the chef alarm..

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 01:52:53 PM »
I ended up getting the marverick 732 as I got it from around $40.  I only use the meat probe as used rv silicone to seal the probe and so far so good.  I love the remote functionality where I can talk around.

Solid unit, without all the frills.  Love mine.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

va_rider

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 08:53:55 PM »
Semi-Old thread... but I've got the Thermoworks Chefalarm. I've had it for about a year now, and recently got the Maverick ET733. Comparatively, the Chefalarm has a much better feel to it. It's just built better. Also, the Chefalarm works as it should. With the Maverick, I would set it for pork, set the high alarm, and the alarm would actually go off at the default temp for pork, not at the temperature that I set. With the Chefalarm, it works as it should; wherever I set the high/low temp alarm, that's where it goes off. The chefalarm's buttons are a better feel and better build. Not that the Maverick is necessarily a bad unit, but in my use, the Chefalarm is in a different class.
Aaron in Virginia
Model #2
Not a smoking newbie, but a Smokin-It newbie.

es1025

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 10:18:49 AM »
I used the chef alarm on my last smoke. It was a pleasure using a fine instrument. Not issues at all much better than the maverick. I purchased mine on an open box sale. Thermoworks makes great products. Shipping is cheap!
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?