Author Topic: Wood to use  (Read 3755 times)

aspenextreme03

Wood to use
« on: March 05, 2015, 05:41:50 PM »
I am getting my model 2 tomorrow. Super fast shipping for ground. Where does everyone buy their wood and what types should i start with?  I dont want to go crazy but i dont know if wood from home depot vs walmart makes a difference.
Eric from Marietta, GA
Smokin-It Model 2, Weber Genesis & Blackstone Pizza Oven

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Wood to use
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 05:46:46 PM »
You will have a few smokes worth of hickory come with your unit.  I like Ace Hardware for a good selection of wood.  It is where I buy my Pecan.  They also sell Apple, Cherry, Hickory, Oak, Mesquite.....  I collect a lot of wood from friends and neighbors that trim or cut down their fruit trees.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

aspenextreme03

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 05:48:50 PM »
Thanks. I read that some people wrap in foil to make sure no fire occurs. Is that recommended?  I have a digial scale so i will weigh it for sure
Eric from Marietta, GA
Smokin-It Model 2, Weber Genesis & Blackstone Pizza Oven

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 05:59:23 PM »
Thanks. I read that some people wrap in foil to make sure no fire occurs. Is that recommended?  I have a digial scale so i will weigh it for sure
Since the concept of these smokers is to set it and forget it, the smoke has to last as long as possible so, yes, I wrap in foil to allow just a little air to the wood.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 06:07:19 PM »
There are several good threads in the What type of tree do you use? section:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?board=6.0

In addition to the wood you can buy directly from Smokin-It, Maine Grilling Woods and Fruitawood seem to be the favorites around here:
Maine Grilling Woods - http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2108.0
Fruitawood - http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1935.0

Big Box store woods are generally kiln dried, which causes excessive combustion/belch issues. So, I steer away from them. But, I know we have a Midwest based hardware store chain (Scheels Hardware) that has pretty good wood. So, Ace could have some good stuff as Dave has mentioned. I would just stay away from the stuff made by Weber and Charbroil as I have not had the best luck with their wood.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 09:34:32 PM »
I use the Maine site.  Nice selection, keep a hatchet on hand some pieces might be a tad too big for smoke box.

FYI, hope you have a digital scale.   For wood weight.

Glad you got the #2

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 02:41:14 PM »
I have used the fruitawood and maine grilling woods sites, and I would recommend the Maine Grilling Woods...lots of sample woods and not so much that it will take a long time to smoke it.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

prudentsmoker

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 07:32:29 PM »
I have found Craigslist to be a very good source. For $25 I bought a stack of apple 3ft.X3FtX1ft. wide. I still have to slice it up on my Harbor Freight band saw, but I don't mind. This is the best deal, but there are many others, at least in Wichita, KS.
Brian from Wichita