Author Topic: Clean top of unit?  (Read 3262 times)

Three Sons BBQ

Clean top of unit?
« on: February 03, 2015, 08:26:43 PM »
Okay here is an odd one.

I was making baked beans in the smoker.

I noticed black drops of "soot" like substance in the beans that cooked solid and was firm...like pealing candle wax off a birthday cake.

I can only assume it was residue from the top of the unit ...

Anyone else experience this? I am thinking I need to clean the top of my unit once a year and then re season as a simple fix.

On another note... I have broken yet another auber probe at the jack location where it plugs into the auber itself. These seem finicky and not rugged to my liking... And practically speaking it just sits there and was unplugged maybe twice so not as though it sees a lot of use. .... Ugh.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Clean top of unit?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 09:52:47 PM »
Polish,
Winter smoking can create more condensation in your smoker and leave dripping creosote on the ceiling of the smoker.  If you ran your finger against the ceiling, it would be like sticky oil.  I use a putty knife and scrape it real good and then wipe it down with a rag and hot water.  The rag will be headed to the garbage after the exercise. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 09:56:09 PM »
To bridge on this question, since I have build up too.

Can or has anyone tried oven cleaner and running it at 250?

The racks, racks, box clean up well in the dishwasher, but the box does get quite dark.

I have also noticed the drips on the top, esp around top hole.

John
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 11:17:51 PM »
Sucks about the probe, Steve!  I can't explain that.  Needless to say, mine get plenty of exercise, and I've never had any issues.  Just unlucky with your, I guess. :o

As far as the top of the smoker, Dave's right about more creosote buildup up there.  I get the same thing on my old Weber gasser grill.  Looks like black cellophane coming off of it!  I do an Easy-Off cleaning once a year.  Soak it with the no-odor stuff, let it sit for about 20 minutes, and hose the whole inside down.  The downside is you have to re-season.  The upside is a clean interior, and you get to smell the re-seasoning smoke! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!