Author Topic: 1st smoke  (Read 3472 times)

truckinusa

1st smoke
« on: January 24, 2015, 04:46:53 PM »
This is my 1st Smoke....Doing Baby backs on a #1...smoker has been going for 3 hours and ribs are 165 degrees....I used 3.3 oz of wood @ 235 degrees approx. (the dial is not exact). I was going to leave them for 4½ hrs, any suggestions...I have probed them thru the top hole. I have not opened the smoker, any help would be appreciated....do I take them off or leave them?  Thanks Walt you were correct.  This was what I did for my 1st smoke:
My First Smoke   (beginning 01.23.15)

1.  12:30 pm -  Put a coat of mustard on 3 - ½ -  slabs baby back ribs and then coated with Grill Mates Smokehouse Maple  Seasoning
2.  Put a coat of  Diabetic Friendly Gourmet Deli & Grillin Sauce on 1 - ½ - slab baby back ribs.
2.  Wrapped all slabs in foil and place back in refrigerator.

1.  Removed ribs from fridge and unfoiled, ribs weighed about 10 lbs
2.  Fired up Smoker #1 with 3.3 oz. of apple wood.
3.  Filled a foil loaf pan about ½ full of apple juice.
4.  Place ribs on top 2 rack
5.  Smoked 4½ hours @ 235° (1 pm to 5:30 )
6.  Opened door, ribs were 175° swabed 2 racks with BBQ sauce and left all in
      smoker for an additional 30 minutes with door closed and unit off.
7.  The outside temp when I started was 42°

Results:
   Bones on ends twisted easily.  However meat was a little tougher on the center bones.  Flavor was good, probably could have used a little more rub.
Wife gave me a A on my 1st smoke, I guess I'm good.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 08:18:42 PM by truckinusa »
"Don't Worry about the Mule Just Load the Wagon"
Big Al from Nashville, Tn

Walt

Re: 1st smoke
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 04:50:26 PM »
Don't check until 4.5 hrs & sauce then if you like.  Its hard to get an accurate temp from ribs so we generally go by time.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 05:13:10 PM »
Walt is right on as usual.

Let them ride my friend.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 05:12:31 PM »
Glad to have you with us, Al!  Yep, I agree with the guys (no surprise).  Gotta let ribs ride until they're done, but not by temp.  You just can't get an accurate temp reading off of small meat with bones.  Use the "toothpick" test for doneness:  Insert a wooden toothpick in between the bones, around 5 hours in.  Does it go in easy?  Then, pull the meat sideways away from the bone.  Does it move without breaking the toothpick?  If yes, they're done!  If not, give them another :30 and check again.  Ribs are totally a "feel" thing.  The more you do, the more you'll know when they are "just right" for your taste!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

truckinusa

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 05:45:22 PM »
Thanks DivotMaker, I will certainly keep that in mind on my next rib smoke, I appreciate the tip.
"Don't Worry about the Mule Just Load the Wagon"
Big Al from Nashville, Tn

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 05:48:27 PM »
Don't probe ribs, you'll get the hang in 3 or 5 sessions.  I did 2 full spare racks last night, 6 hours, perfect, no peek. 

Make sure juice box is next to element.   Makes a difference. 

I leave mine with the mustard and spice rub (night before) and let it go the full 6.   

Perfect rib machine.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 06:30:15 PM »
Don't probe ribs, you'll get the hang in 3 or 5 sessions.  I did 2 full spare racks last night, 6 hours, perfect, no peek. 

Make sure juice box is next to element.   Makes a difference. 

I leave mine with the mustard and spice rub (night before) and let it go the full 6.   X-2 That and same here .

Perfect rib machine.
[I[I .............

Walt

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 06:56:51 PM »
I have used the rack once in a little over a year when cooing 9 racks in my #2.  I prefer not to use it unless it a big cook. Lay the ribs flat.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill