Author Topic: Cheese - Round 2  (Read 3277 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Cheese - Round 2
« on: February 16, 2015, 10:20:25 AM »
I'm starting my second round of cheese this morning and the couple of modifications I made from my first go have already seemed to be of a benefit.  I took Tony's advice and added another layer of tile for a heat shield and added a large foil pan filled with sand as a heat sink.  My starting smoke temp was 47 degrees.  15 minutes of full power heat and I was only at 57 degrees on the Auber probe.  The Maverick probe on the cheese rack above the ice is reading, again, about 5 degrees less.  Looking forward to more smoky cheese.  As for the cheese, I'm repeating the cheddar and Colby Jack but threw in some provolone this time. 

Oh, one other change I'm trying is to remove the OEM chip box and try a thin metal pie plate. 

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:47:06 AM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: Cheese - Round 2
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 01:26:07 PM »
Super ideal smoke session.  Box temp never exceeded 65 and cheese rack, 61 degrees.  1 1/2 hour of smoke with apple and pecan.

Real happy with pie plate performance.  I hit it with a profane torch on the surface to start a little smoke before I put it in. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:14:52 PM by SuperDave »

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 01:48:01 PM »
Looks great!

It is kind of hard to tell from the pic, but did you notice any change in color?

On my last batch, I had temps in the same 65 degree range and the change is color was VERY light if at all.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 03:06:09 PM »
Looks great!

It is kind of hard to tell from the pic, but did you notice any change in color?

On my last batch, I had temps in the same 65 degree range and the change is color was VERY light if at all.
Yes, look at the left side white cheese.  I turned one side over so that you can tell the difference between the 2 that are next to each other.  I think a lot of color change would be sign of a dirty smoke.  I also loved the flavor of my last smoke so repeated smoke time for this batch. 

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 07:20:12 PM »
Nice-looking cheese, Dave!  I can tell, from the pic, that the provolone really took the smoke well!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!