Author Topic: Upgraded controller  (Read 19319 times)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Upgraded controller
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 12:47:46 AM »
I kind of get the feeling that my suggestions were interpreted as an attack on Steve or his company

I agree and have had the same impression on other topics.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Limey

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 09:44:47 AM »
Sorry to have created so much heat(but also a good deal of light). I suspect that DivotMaker may be correct when he points to the liability issues involved. Also the issue seems to be evolving. Back in October 2013 Johnnytex posted under "Auber PID Tips and Tricks" that-
" I talked to Steve and he said the box and insulation was good to 500 °. The Auber works up to 383 °F. Since the #3 has a1200-watt element, higher temps should not be a problem."
I'm not clear whether the second sentence is Steve or Johnnytex. Incidentally the manual for my Auber(4th gen) states that it can read to 660 and control to 600. Since then Divot has talked to Steve who indicated that the box was good to 350.
My real concern is about all those bypassed Aubers out there without any safety mechanisms in place. Unless you change out the standard 3 pin plug on the SI and replace the female equivalent on the Auber, something I suspect very few have done, then you have a fire waiting to happen. Yes, a sacrificial fuseable(meltable) link will solve the problem, again something few do. No, switches do not solve the problem, nor do statements that "only I use my smoker".
Simply put, if a bypassed SI is plugged directly into the wall socket it will continue to heat until it reaches equilibrium heat or something melts, possibly causing a fire. I do not want to see SIs getting a reputation as fire starters due to unauthorized modifications that some of us do. A 350 or 325 controller is the simplest way round this imo and I have emailed Steve to ask him if he knows of one. Perhaps after taking inventory he will have an opportunity to look at this.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 10:33:31 AM »
I'm still new but does Steve participate on this forum?  Some of the forums such as this one feel like a black hole without some feedback from the person the threads are directed to. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Limey

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 10:54:09 AM »
No I don't think he does although I think Tony(DivotMaker) acts as a conduit.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Limey

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 12:40:29 PM »
Correction to my previous post- the Auber WSD 1500 GPH can control from a minimum of ambient plus 9 degrees to a maximum of 660 degrees, not 600 degrees as in my previous post, not that maximum is very relevant for us.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 01:12:20 PM »
Also the issue seems to be evolving. Back in October 2013 Johnnytex posted under "Auber PID Tips and Tricks" that
"I talked to Steve and he said the box and insulation was good to 500 °. The Auber works up to 383 °F. Since the #3 has a1200-watt element, higher temps should not be a problem."
I'm not clear whether the second sentence is Steve or Johnnytex. Incidentally the manual for my Auber(4th gen) states that it can read to 660 and control to 600. Since then Divot has talked to Steve who indicated that the box was good to 350.

I remember hearing this 500 degree number too. So, am wondering when it lowered down to 350 and why?

It would seem that the more recent mention of 350 from Tony would be more current since he does communicate with Steve. But, did this just change for liability sake? Was the originally reported 500 wrong? Was there new testing that lead to the reduction to 350?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 01:33:13 PM »
How about whether the temperature limit applies to all models?  By volume and surface area, I'd think mine model 4 would have a different limit than a #1.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 09:36:40 PM »
I kind of get the feeling that my suggestions were interpreted as an attack on Steve or his company that needed to be defended. But that could not be further from the truth or how I meant for it to come out anyhow. It feels weird for me to be disagreeing with my mentors (Old Sarge and Divot), but I guess we all have our own opinions right? :)

Nothing farther from the truth, Gregg!  I took your comments as your opinion, which is valuable!  As I mentioned in my post, it was "my 2¢ on what it boils down to."  Let me clarify something - I do not work for SI, and I do not speak for Steve.  Yes, we communicate often, on lots of different issues, but it's his company - not mine.  Steve doesn't participate in the forum, as he believes it's our (users) forum.  I try to pass-on info, as I hear it, and do the best I can to help promote these great smokers. 

Healthy discussion is great, and different opinions usually lead to great solutions/compromises!  You have valid points, Gregg, but I still disagree.  You know, as well as I do, that the majority of SI owners a) do not participate in the forum, and b) do not have the experience, or common sense, many of us do.  I believe you have to strike a balance between what people want in a smoker, and what is "above and beyond" what the "average" consumer will buy. 

I'll clarify the box temp rating, for those of you who may want to push it to 500. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2015, 09:48:28 PM »
I'm glad my comments were received the way they were meant to be given.

I think I said my piece on this, so am fine with leaving it as agree to disagree. Like I said earlier, it was a healthy discussion where both sides were "passionately" :) given. That's all one can ask for.

It is a credit to Steve to provide us this forum where we have the opportunity to have these discussions.

Onward and upward. I just took 10lbs of burger out of the fridge to make some extruded Jerky this week. More to come on this in the Jerky section.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2015, 11:47:03 PM »
Tony, Gregg, et al, Sorry for getting in here late. Watched  the SOTU  address followed by two episodes of Wanted Dead or Alive on the Western Channel. I actually liked the discussion but felt I came off a tad harsh with the crock pot remark ( I use that frequently).  I have, by PM, sent folks sources for controllers and elements if I thought for one second that they might be inclined to experiment or modify their smoker much the same way folks buy a car and start replacing the stock parts.  It is what they do. They have a rock solid platform and just want to push it to the limit. 

Over Thanksgiving, having run out of oven space, I threw a smoked ham into my smoker and maxed out the temperature at 300. I cannot say the smoker cabinet got hot enough to burn (maybe a child might cry), but it was too hot to comfortably rest one's hand on it for more than 15 or 20 seconds on the top.  Considering the temperature these rascals are designed to operate at, I would surmise that while the insulation chosen would handle much higher temperatures  (again surmising) it is the amount of insulation & air between the inner chamber and the exterior shell that would prove to be the limiting factor. And there is that well placed tag warning about the hot surface. As mentioned earlier, there is a liability factor.

Can someone purchase a heating element that will, with a proper controller (and all the high temperature wire and connectors), allow one to bake loaves of bread in their smoker? Yes! Is it worth the risk? That is up to the individual, not SI. Again, liability.

There are no 'black holes' that questions fall into and never get answered. Just areas that have not been explored at personal expense by forum members and therefore cannot be answered.  Sometime one has to strike out on their own, blaze a new trail, and report back. That happened early on with the Auber, then the bypass, the switch, etc.  Some money, some time, some risk. Lots of success.

Time for a Pabst!

Dave
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 11:49:30 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 12:16:29 AM »
You'll need more than a Pabst if you saw the STOU tv parade.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2015, 05:30:26 PM »
I always enjoy the State of the Union.  No matter who is President.  Still the greatest nation on earth.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 05:32:20 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

bigbassnutt

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2015, 05:52:11 PM »
Good discussion guys. I have been working a lot lately so haven't had a lot of time to visit the forum. I have a model 2 with an Auber and have done the bypass. I can see where having the analog controller be able to go a little higher would be beneficial but also see where a lot of people just wouldn't need the higher temps. I have cooked poultry at 275 but that's the only time I have went higher than 250. I am somewhat of a gear junkie so the Auber was a no brainer for me. I love my #2 but in if I had it to do over I would have spent the extra money and got the #3. The extra room would be nice!
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2015, 06:38:56 PM »
I love my #2 but in if I had it to do over I would have spent the extra money and got the #3. The extra room would be nice!
I don't think I'll ever fill my model 4 but bought it for the rack size.  I'll wonder if I could have spent a less money and done with a #3 but the big rack size is really what I wanted. 

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »
Actually at 15X20, the #3 racks are really not that much smaller than the 18.5" racks from the #4. I have seen some conflicting information on the rack size in the #4's, so not sure if I am 100% right on that.

The big thing with the #4 is you get that height which would be awesome if you want to be able to hang things like sausages, bagged hams, etc.
Gregg - Fargo, ND