Author Topic: 1st Brisket on the Smoker - temp raising too fast ? Urgent question !!  (Read 2465 times)

Elliottbte

I am two hours into smoking my first Brisket in my SI #1.  Everything is functioning great with smoker temp right around 225 set point. I have a 6.3 lb trimmed flat (w/ fat cap) that nicely fits on the rack.

But just 2 hours in, the brisket temp on Maverick is 138. I started it in cold smoker at 52.  Is 138 expected at this point?  Or is there possibly the chance I mispositioned the temperature probe.  Any info is helpful.
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: 1st Brisket on the Smoker - temp raising too fast ? Urgent question !!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 10:26:36 AM »
Initial rises can be quick and then slow to only a couple degrees/hour.  Relax and don't worry about checking probe until it gets to where it should be. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 10:43:58 AM »
Yep, the temp rises quickly in the beginning of the smoke, but then the stall will occur and it will sit for a while at the same temp.   No worries!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Elliottbte

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 11:19:18 AM »
Thanks all.  Now 5th hour in and the temp stalled at 181 for the last two hours.  That is a bit higher stall temp than I expected, but maybe I put the probe in a bit too deep. But I'm relieved it stalled. I wonder if brining the brisket made any difference in the temp rise.  Given it stalled this high, what temp is suggested for taking it out for slicing?
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

Elliottbte

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 08:30:34 PM »
Well, everything came out great. Took brisket out at 199, and it rested for 3+ hrs.  It sliced nicely and was fall apart tender at the same time.  The family really liked the pecan/hickory mix.  Next time I'm gonna skip the brine and let the rub stay on overnight to see what the difference is.
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 01:12:05 PM »
Way to go, Brad!  Congrats on the success.   The "stall" can be frustrating in that you don't necessarily know when it will occur, and you can't really predict how long it will occur.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2