Author Topic: "Break in" smoke (seasoning) is underway!  (Read 2159 times)

DK72

"Break in" smoke (seasoning) is underway!
« on: January 16, 2015, 08:46:19 PM »
As I sit here and write, my #2 is going through its seasoning but I can't help but wanna go out, open it up, "poke the coals". I know that I'm not smoking any food but the smell of the hickory, the cold air, the stars in the sky and a nice semi stiff drink puts me in a mood. I have been "trolling" these forums for about 2 months now and I must say its gonna be hard not to open my "easy bake oven". By no means am I disrespecting the SI but it's gonna take some time to get used to not worrying about the temps, moppin on the sauce and "just takin a little peak".
I wanted a different smoker than the charcoal/wood that I have been using and as most I considered all types of other smokers. Well enough about the breakin just glad I found this smoker and these forums. Thanks to all who post here with tips, recipes, hints and suggestions. It is you who help make this a great place for a "noobie" electric smoker guy, such as me, feel like he made the right choice and I haven't even smoked any food yet. YET! Looks like it's gonna be a long night.
David from Tennessee. Model #2.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: "Break in" smoke (seasoning) is underway!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 10:07:11 PM »
Glad to have you with us!  Yeah, that seasoning smoke sure makes you hungry!! :-X   When you have a chance, head over to the "Introductions" section and tell us a little about your other smoking experience.  A first name and town is also nice in the signature line of your profile - let's us know who our new "Club Lazy Q" members are! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Longhornamus

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 10:17:46 PM »
I am in the same boat as you are. Feels wierd being able to set it and forget it. After how my first cook this evening turned out, I am happy as can be with my new smoker. I am leaning on these guys to show me the way, as they have already broken the trail for us newbies! Good luck and enjoy your new tool!
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

DK72

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 10:26:51 PM »
Another member on a different topic/thread made a comment that I REALLY think I will learn to enjoy. It was something like this: I am letting my smoker work for me vs. me working it. Now that sounds good to me.
David from Tennessee. Model #2.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 10:37:54 PM »
You definitely have it figured-out, David!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 01:48:57 AM »
Welcome from ND David!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.