Author Topic: #2 without using the casters ...  (Read 4420 times)

bbqnewbie

• #2 purchased 1/15
#2 without using the casters ...
« on: January 13, 2015, 07:25:28 PM »
Hmmm; just wondering - if we have a temporary (or not temp.?) cart to try out that we just thought of and sit it on top of it without the casters, do the little legs sticking down that I see in pics raise it high enough that the grease pan can still slide in and out and clear whatever the smoker is sitting on top of?  If it DOES clear the cart we're thinking of, what would be the best way to "anchor" it so it's steady if/when we choose to roll the cart out of the way at some point and not have the smoker fall off - OMG!! :o

Is there a "safe" way to screw in brackets or something to keep it attached properly?  Maybe only anchor cart to the 4 legs?
- arline -
Smokin-It #2
Life-long gourmet cook, but never smoked before!  I'm now into my 2nd year of smoking - about 10X per year maximum.
San Diego

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: #2 without using the casters ...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 07:27:39 PM »
Arline, the drip pan fits without the casters - that's how I use my #1.  I would recommend drilling 4 holes to match the legs, and use machine screws/flat washers the size of the caster threads. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bbqnewbie

• #2 purchased 1/15
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 07:41:57 PM »
Hey Tony - could you elaborate a little bit ... I'm not quite understanding.  "Drill 4 holes to match the legs ..."  drill them where?  Drill 4 holes into the top of the cart so legs fit down in them?  Drill 4 holes, 1 in each of the legs?  Screws and washers placed where?  Sorry, can't quite picture this; don't mean to sound dense.
- arline -
Smokin-It #2
Life-long gourmet cook, but never smoked before!  I'm now into my 2nd year of smoking - about 10X per year maximum.
San Diego

bbqnewbie

• #2 purchased 1/15
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 07:57:12 PM »
Sorry; another follow-up question:  from front to back (not side-to-side), does someone know the measurement center to center of the front and rear legs?  Thank you.
- arline -
Smokin-It #2
San Diego

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 08:23:03 PM »
Sorry, Arline.  When you get your smoker, set it on your cart.  With a pencil, mark around each leg.  Then, draw diagonal lines to find the center of the square (sorry to bring geometry into this), then drill 4 holes slightly larger than the threaded ends of the casters.  You can take one of your casters to Lowe's or Home Depot, and have them tell you the thread pattern.  You will then buy 4 pan head machine screws that size, with flat washers.  No need to measure anything, just use your actual smoker as a guide (all of them could be slightly off, due to manufacturing).

Once you have your screws, place the smoker on the cart, lining it up with your original marks.  Use one screw & flat washer, per hole, from the bottom of the carts top, to secure your smoker.  The SI cart works the same way.  Hope this helps more!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

bbqnewbie

• #2 purchased 1/15
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 09:57:26 PM »
Oh yes; got this perfectly!  Thanks so much.

Still asking:  does anyone have the measurement of the distance of the legs on the #2, from front to back, ctr. to ctr.?
- arline -
Smokin-It #2
San Diego

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 07:24:41 PM »
Arline,

The legs themselves are 1 1/8" square tubing.  Centers, front-rear 13 3/4", side-side 15 3/4".  The overall depth of the smoker is 19 3/4", and the back legs are inset 4".  You want to check the measurements on yours, though, in case they're different.  That should get you in the ballpark, though.
Tony from NW Arkansas

bbqnewbie

• #2 purchased 1/15
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 10:06:05 PM »
Just what I needed; thanks so much ... arrives in 15 hours!
- arline -
Smokin-It #2
San Diego

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 10:58:14 PM »
Just like Christmas - but lasts longer! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Carp210

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 01:30:41 PM »
Here is what I did with my #2.  Hope it helps others.
Table was from Sams club Model 18308w  Paid $119. I picked up at store to make sure there was no damage.  I had to cut the legs to bring the top height back down to 35" with the casters on.  Not bad quality for the price.  Screws and rubber feet were bought off E Bay.  Hope these photos help.  I cut the legs with a miter saw and a cheap 10" metal cutting blade from Lowes.
Dave from SW Pa.  (Steeler,Pirates,Penguins Country)
Weber gas grill, Weber 22.5 Charcoal Smoker
Retired husband and Grandad
Weber Genesis S-330 with Grillgrates
Si model#2, 800 watt, Auber, with fixed probe.