Author Topic: 15 lbs Turkey for a Turkey Virgin  (Read 8323 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
15 lbs Turkey for a Turkey Virgin
« on: January 09, 2015, 06:50:53 PM »
Well, I'm starting the night before festivities for my first turkey smoke.  I've got some brine simmering on the stove.  After 3 days in the garage, the turkey is still frozen in the core to the point that I'm have a WWF wresting match with it to get the giblets out.  Not a lot to see yet but I will be updating by phase as things progress.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Re: 15 lbs Turkey for a Turkey Virgin
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 08:20:13 PM »
Brine ready to cool:

Bird taking a bath:

Starting my butter medallions, 1 cube of butter, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper:

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 08:24:40 PM »
Looks like you are well on your way to an awesome turkey smoke. I love the butter medallion idea.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 09:34:26 PM »
Dave - I know you're no BBQ rookie, but 2 things kind of jump out at me on your plan.  First, you're brining before the bird is thawed.  You want to make sure it is completely thawed before smoking it!  Also, the size is pushing the limit of safety.  12-13 lbs is ideal, but up to 14 is even pushing it a bit.  The problem is the time the bird stays between 40° and 140°.  If the bird is too big, you risk growing some added "side items" you didn't plan on.  I think a 15 pounder will be alright, if you smoke at 250°, but I recommend trying to keep your turkeys 14 # and under.

One recommendation on the thaw - keep it in the bag, and thaw in cold water in the sink, changing the water every 30-min.  You can finish thawing one pretty quick, and that way it's completely thawed before taking a swim in the brine.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 07:33:55 PM »
Sorry, it has been a super busy day so let's get caught up.

Start by breaking the skin membrane with your fingers and slide your hand as far forward on the breast as you can.  If your wife will help, her small hands come in handy here:

Slice seasoned butter that has beem chilled:

Slide seasoned butter under the skin:

Cavity filled with onion, carrots, celery and fresh poultry herbs and coated with rub:

In the box and ready to rock and roll:

My wood choices were apple, cherry and pecan.  Cook temp is 275 degrees, which took approximately 1:15 to hit program temp. 

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 09:07:44 PM »
Just pulled it and wrapping with foil for a short rest.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 10:21:46 PM »
On the carving board:

And on the plate:

Served it with oven roasted vegetables and apple Waldorf salad.

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 02:22:25 AM »
Hey Dave,
 Looks fantastic. I am curious as to why you cooked the turkey in a pan and not just on the rack.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 10:18:24 AM »
I smoke it the way I'd cook it in the oven.  Can you see the gallon of drippings in the pan, I love that for making smoked gravy.  Also, my chef's delight is getting to eat the carrots that have cooked in the juices at the bottom of the pan.  The results were most excellent for my first smoked turkey.  My adjustments to perfect will be very small. 

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 11:06:33 AM »
Thanksgiving in January. What's not to like?  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 05:54:02 PM »
Nice job, Dave!  Looks terrific! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 12:52:14 AM »
Dave, how do you make your gravy with the left over juices?  I'm planning on doing a smoke very similar to yours next weekend.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 11:40:45 AM »
Dave, how do you make your gravy with the left over juices?  I'm planning on doing a smoke very similar to yours next weekend.
The same way as if you oven roasted it.  I skim as much fat off the top as possible, using a couple tablespoons for my rue or slurry, whichever you prefer, and then use a couple cups of the pan juices.  I like cornstarch over flour as a thickening agent.  When the gravy has thickened, I add just a couple drops of Kitchen Bouquet for color. 

Limey

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 09:41:46 PM »
Dave, looks great. I'm happy that somebody besides me cooks in a pan in these smokers. Saves a lot of cleanup and provides great pan juices. The prevailing wisdom is that you cannot use pans/sheet pans etc. I continue to experiment. Have had great and consistent results with poultry, less so with ribs. Will post once I have an opinion.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 10:20:27 PM »
I'm curious on your butter.. when you say 1 cube do you mean 4 sticks?  Also, did you melt the butter or just let it get real soft in order to mix it and then put it back in the fridge?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas