Author Topic: #2 Arrived - Never used a Smoker - Need tips and Advice - Thank you!  (Read 1680 times)

sms32084

I just received my #2 smoker last night.  Seasoned it for 3 hours according to directions in box.  I am now ready to smoke for the very first time.  I have a 2.25lb pork sirloin tip roast that I picked up from Costco.  It is seasoned and ready to go.  Will you please provide some feedback, tips, advice ect... on how I should cook this roast.  I have been reading a lot of advice from different members and not sure if I should put it on top rack, bottom rack, cooking time.  Would like a nice bark on it.  Any feedback is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.   :)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: #2 Arrived - Never used a Smoker - Need tips and Advice - Thank you!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 07:14:16 PM »
No doubt you will find great advice through on the forum, especially in the pork section.    I would put the roast in the middle of the smoker and be sure to have a remote meat therm that you can use to check the internal temp of the roast.   I am guessing that you will probably need 2 hours or so to reach your desired IT.   I would recommend 2-3oz of wood for this smoke.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: #2 Arrived - Never used a Smoker - Need tips and Advice - Thank you!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 09:40:30 PM »
Any update?  Sorry I missed your post yesterday - been tied up with my day (and night) job!  Steve's dead-on.  I will say that it's tough to smoke a roast that small - hard to get bark on something that only takes a couple of hours to cook.  Might have to give it a little "reverse-sear" in a hot oven (500+) or on the grill!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!