Author Topic: Power cord and temp probe?  (Read 13736 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Power cord and temp probe?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 09:01:22 PM »
I am putting a switch in too but I wonder if having the grommet on the back leaves it open get moisture in.

I've had mine like this for about a year, with no adverse effects at all.  The insulation is tight, and seals the hole.  I suppose you could squirt a little silicone in there to seal it, if so inclined.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 09:12:18 PM »
I am putting a switch in too but I wonder if having the grommet on the back leaves it open get moisture in.

I've had mine like this for about a year, with no adverse effects at all.  The insulation is tight, and seals the hole.  I suppose you could squirt a little silicone in there to seal it, if so inclined.
If Tony's shot gun sized hole hasn't presented a problem, I know I have nothing to worry about.  LOL!  Just kidding Tony!! ;-)

I contemplated a shot of silicone but I knew Murphy's law would kick in and I'd want 3" more of cord just after it set up so I'm leaving as is.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 09:36:22 PM »
Yeah Dave, I killed that squirrel with an elephant gun!  Not sure what I was thinking, but it's done, and working fine - just not as pretty as yours! :-[
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 09:50:38 PM »
Tony, if I remember reading right, I think you said your hole was 1/2" or 5/8"?  If you are a perfectionist, I was trying to think of a solution.  What I came up with was putting a small grommet  with the same outside diameter of your hole on the inside of a SS washer and gluing the washer to the inside face of the back panel.  It is probably a $1.50 in parts if it made you feel better.   ;)
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 09:58:07 PM »
Ha, Dave!  So funny, because I came up with that same solution!  lol.  But then, I slapped myself and realized it's on the back of the smoker, works fine, and doesn't effect anything - so I left it!  I may eventually, but I'm all Zen with it now. 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 12:57:30 PM »
I may put a 3/4 inch hole in it just to go along with the crowd!!  ;D  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 07:36:15 PM »
That's the spirit, Bob!  lol! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

mozbbq

• Lester... An old Burner.
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 08:01:26 PM »
Bob,
I've got the DPDT switch coming (>Amazon).  I need instructions on wiring it in with the Auber 1800 on a "new" model 3.  Can  you help?

paidin

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 08:39:19 PM »
Bob,
I've got the DPDT switch coming (>Amazon).  I need instructions on wiring it in with the Auber 1800 on a "new" model 3.  Can  you help?

I drew up a schematic using a SPDT switch instead of a DPDT switch.  I think this method is cleaner and easier.  Look here:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1287.105

I ended up just sticking a thermal fuse in there instead of a switch.  Mainly because one hole through stainless was enough for me :)

-paidin
the SI#4 should be named "The American" because you can do everything in excess with it.  Just because you can.  'Murica!