Author Topic: How many #3 owners have an Auber?  (Read 15857 times)

Limey

Re: How many #3 owners have an Auber?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2015, 10:56:35 PM »
I have two SI#3 and two Aubers (different houses) and both work fine.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2015, 12:36:40 AM »
Hey Roger, on the second #3 that is not bypassed but you have an Auber for it. So to use the Auber you have to set the control on the #3 to 250 and then plug the #3 into the Auber. Is that how it works, but can only use temps. at 250 and below?
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2015, 10:41:41 AM »
Hey Roger, on the second #3 that is not bypassed but you have an Auber for it. So to use the Auber you have to set the control on the #3 to 250 and then plug the #3 into the Auber. Is that how it works, but can only use temps. at 250 and below?
Correct.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

Limey

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2015, 07:51:30 PM »
Bill, as usual Dave is correct. I plan to bypass the other #3 when I get time but I will only do a switched bypass and drilling the stainless is a pita. I think that non-switched bypasses are potentially dangerous-just my opinion.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2015, 08:26:34 PM »
I think that non-switched bypasses are potentially dangerous-just my opinion.

So are the firearms in my house, and all the really sharp power tools I own.  Common sense applies here; if you have anyone, in your house, that may run out and plug your smoker in without the Auber attached, please attach a safety device!  If you're like me, and have no possibility of that happening, the unswitched bypass is just fine.  ...Just don't tell OSHA. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Limey

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2015, 09:51:28 PM »
DM as always you are exactly right. However, given the way these units are built (bsh), what about when your grand kids inherit your SI? Just sayin...

DivotMaker

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2015, 10:03:49 PM »
DM as always you are exactly right. However, given the way these units are built (bsh), what about when your grand kids inherit your SI? Just sayin...

If that's a concern, make sure they know how to use it, or modify it before it's passed on.  Just like anything, the end user should be aware of the proper operation, I suppose.  I guess I need to put a "bypassed SI" guide/disclaimer in my will... ;)   If they inherit one with a switch, how will they know which position to put the switch?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Limey

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2015, 10:34:16 PM »
DM since you asked, toggle it towards the controller, controller rules(rocket cover is down). Lift up rocket cover, move switch away from controller then Auber, or nothing, controls. As a practical matter probably not a problem either way. These units have relatively small heating units and will probably self equilibrate at at a less than melt down temperature. Not really necessary to change your will!

DivotMaker

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2015, 10:35:48 PM »
Not really necessary to change your will!

Whew! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2015, 11:02:22 PM »
Well, guys, went out to Lowe's tonight, the Harley was calling me to take it out. I was able to get everything for the switch. I just forgot the DPDT switch for the #1. But, did find the nylon spacers, Tony need to put a note in your post that they are in speciality drawers located in the hardware area. Also picked up a 25' extension cord good to 50 below. I will use part of it to make short cables for the aubers and the #1. Luckily Rick already did the short power cable on the #3 and switch and bypass. Just need to mount the permanent mount wall sensor on it.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri