Author Topic: How many #3 owners have an Auber?  (Read 15850 times)

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: How many #3 owners have an Auber?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 06:38:25 PM »
I just recently purchased a used #3 with the Auber WS-1503-CPH. I have not used it yet, but tomorrow will be smoking 3 slabs of ribs. I plan on using it then. I will be doing just a time/temp. program. Not using the food temp.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 07:32:07 PM »
Let us know if you have better luck with it than I did!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

elkins20

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 08:01:36 PM »
I will, I also have a new auber for the #1, but have not gotten the parts for the bypass and switch. Also going to add low temp. cords. I was lucky as I purchased Rickne's #3, cart and auber. So I really do not have to do anything with it. But, later will get the permanent mounted probe for it. I purchased the ribs today and will later smear them with mustard and add a cherry/chipotle rub. I will do a post on the pork section.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

prudentsmoker

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 08:13:41 PM »
I have one for my #3 and it usually stays within a couple of degrees. I have not got around to installing the bypass yet. I doubt that it matters, but I bought the one with one probe as I already had several. However, I noticed this post started in December. Just curious if the swap worked.
Brian from Wichita

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 09:52:22 PM »
Brian, I ended up not swapping it out because Auber told me that I would continue to get temperature swings like I was getting. I told them several times that I wanted to swap it out and try another unit. After several calls and emails, they convinced me that they guys who had success with them on here with a model 3 were just lucky.. So I sent it back for a refund.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

elkins20

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 09:52:44 PM »
Hey Libo, did anyone ever give you an answer on the pid settings? If not I will see if I can find the ones on mine. So you do not have a Auber unit? Also sounds like the CS at Auber kind of S__ks. Seems like they really did not want to help you with your problem...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:56:06 PM by elkins20 »

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 09:59:04 PM »
Post yours for sure.  I think I wrote what Auber told me regarding PID settings somewhere on the forum. Basically, they said not to rely on autotune.  They recommended manually tuning it and gave me some guidelines on how to do it. 
The Woodlands, Texas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2015, 10:19:16 AM »
Bill, as long as you use your Auber at a temp below 250, you can get your #1 all dialed in with the auto tune and even smoke with it.  The instructions just tell you to turn the stock controller all the way up to 250 so that it doesn't interfere with the Auber. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

prudentsmoker

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2015, 10:28:46 AM »
PID settings on mine
P=63
I=392
D=174
Brian from Wichita

elkins20

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2015, 10:49:44 AM »
Thanks for the info Dave, Yes, I could do this except I have the permanent mount sensor for the #1 not sure if could lay on a cooking rack. And I was going to do that Sat. but something came up. Also Libo, I will try and get my pid readings for you after the ribs are finished. I did just a simple program but looks like the Auber is holding the temp. at 235 +/- 1 degree. Mostly have just seen internal box temp. at 235.

elkins20

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2015, 02:15:14 PM »
Hey Libo, sorry for the lateness, here are my settings on the Auber WS-1503CPH that I use with the #3. P=70, I=600, D=150. It worked flawless on the ribs, never seen it over 235 until it hit the last step and went to 245 for 30 min. Was going to add sauce and let set in the smoker for 30 min. but changed my mind. Ribs were done at 4.5 hrs.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2015, 02:53:52 PM »
Thanks for the info Dave, Yes, I could do this except I have the permanent mount sensor for the #1 not sure if could lay on a cooking rack. And I was going to do that Sat. but something came up. Also Libo, I will try and get my pid readings for you after the ribs are finished. I did just a simple program but looks like the Auber is holding the temp. at 235 +/- 1 degree. Mostly have just seen internal box temp. at 235.

Bill, you can download the 1503CPH model direct from auberins.com.  I know Rick already tuned yours, but you'll probably need to re-do an autotune after installing the permanent probe.  Despite the info Libo was given, the autotune works, and you'll get good results.  Mine have always been dead-on, and I've never felt I was "lucky!" 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2015, 03:00:38 PM »
Hey Libo, sorry for the lateness, here are my settings on the Auber WS-1503CPH that I use with the #3. P=70, I=600, D=150. It worked flawless on the ribs, never seen it over 235 until it hit the last step and went to 245 for 30 min. Was going to add sauce and let set in the smoker for 30 min. but changed my mind. Ribs were done at 4.5 hrs.

That looks just about exactly where they told me to start when manually tuning.  Glad your worked fine!
The Woodlands, Texas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2015, 03:12:32 PM »
Bill, you can download the 1503CPH model direct from auberins.com.  I know Rick already tuned yours, but you'll probably need to re-do an autotune after installing the permanent probe.  Despite the info Libo was given, the autotune works, and you'll get good results.  Mine have always been dead-on, and I've never felt I was "lucky!"

Tony, they did tell me that the Auber would work fine on a model 1 or 2. They assured me in many conversations that it won't work on a model 3 without large temp swings (that may start hours into the program).  I explained to them many times that there were several people on this forum who claimed to have no problems with using theirs on a model 3.  It was exhausting trying to convince them to just send me another unit to try.  They insisted over and over again over about a 2 week period that I should just return my unit for a refund. Finally, I threw my hands up in defeat and accepted the refund.  I did keep the probes, in the hopes that they would obtain a Model 3 for testing from Steve and work the bugs out of it.  However, now that heater meter is looking mighty nice!
The Woodlands, Texas

elkins20

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2015, 03:59:06 PM »
Hey Tony, will probably order the permanent mount today. But, in reality it really worked good on the ribs. I will do a longer smoke in the #3 later or next weekend. I have some briskets that I cut in half b/4 getting the #3 but they are 7# so maybe that would give me a longer smoke. You can always get a new model Auber unless you are against their customer service. I have the 4th gen for the #1 and can let you know how it works once it is installed. I missed a nice cool day last week. This week supposed to be upper 90's and heat index over 100... Oh Tony I really feel lucky after getting the deal from Rick.  ;D  ;D Sorry couldn't resist.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:41:20 AM by elkins20 »