Author Topic: Is Everything OK with My Smoked Turkey?  (Read 2527 times)

rowsteve65

Is Everything OK with My Smoked Turkey?
« on: November 27, 2014, 11:06:47 AM »
Gang,

I'd appreciate an opinion if anyone is online on Turkey Day.  I'm smoking my first turkey in my new Model 2, and I'm using the Maverick ET733.  The turkey is 11.3 pounds.  The thermometer is cycling on and off fine it appears, but I just wanted to make sure everything is OK with the turkey temperature.  Smoker is set at 250, and after two hours, the turkey temperature is 120 degrees.  At that rate, seems to me that the turkey will be done substantially before the 6-6.5 hours that I've read it should take.  Does the two hour temperature of 120 seem OK to all of you more experienced forum members?  Thanks, and a happy and safe Thanksgiving to all.

Steve

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Is Everything OK with My Smoked Turkey?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 11:28:27 AM »
Steve...whole turkeys that I have done are typically ready within 4 hours.  I am doing a 12# this afternoon and expecting no more than 4 hours to reach 165IT.    If your turkey is done too early for you, then lower the smoker temp to 140F and you can keep it in the smoker for an hour or so on "warm and hold".   The other option is to remove and wrap and keep it in the oven if you don't need your oven today!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

rowsteve65

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 11:42:03 AM »
Thanks so much Steve!  On the time till done, I was going by a chart done by DivotMaker on this forum.  But it looks like your estimate time will be closer.  Hope you'll be having a great time with friends and family today.

Steve

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 03:25:11 PM »
Hmm... Thanks for the catch on the chart, Steve.  Seems we got that one a little high.  Whole turkey should range from 4-6 hours, depending on the size.  I'll get that modified!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!