Author Topic: Using a Temp probe  (Read 7735 times)

ofrankie

Using a Temp probe
« on: February 27, 2013, 09:55:49 AM »
I'm looking a picking up the Maverick ET732 dual temp probe.
I was just wondering if anyone has this item & how to set it up with the #2 unit?
As good as the unit closes & seals, I assume(???) that the probes connect thru the smoke hole on top
& not thru the door.
Would appreciate any input.
Thanks.

bordercollie

Re: Using a Temp probe
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 01:11:50 PM »
Hi, I have the singlr probe and put in through the smoke hole on my #3. It works great with the unit. I posted this same picture on the #3's category.. :) bc

viticulture

• Smoked meat and aged wine makes for a good evening
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 01:26:23 PM »
ofranke - I have both the Maverick & #2. Simply insert both probes thru top vent hole and connect the blunt short one to a shelf via the included clip and the other longer pointier one goes directly into your meat. It's really pretty self explanatory once you see the thermometers. A word of caution though re; these Mavericks - there are plenty of folks out there that seem to have a problem w/ accurate temp readings after they've washed the probes. Rumor has it that you should not allow the area where the cable actually attaches to the probe to get any significant moisture on it. Probably best to simply wipe probe w/ damp towel and call it good. I've seen a couple of posts on different forums where they apply automotive red high temp RTV silicone to that area thus reducing the possibility of water intrusion into the connection. I haven't done that yet but plan to today. i'd post pics but I can't seem to figure out how to get them under 512 MB. I'll have to get someone from the proper generation to fix that for me.

ofrankie

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 03:31:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies BC & Viti.
I thought that was the way it should be done, but I just wanted to be certain.
Will probably use the RTV silicone as well.
Thanks again.

Grimm5577

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:12:35 PM »
I had to get replacement probes within 4 months due to the poor connection between wire and probe. The replacements received a RTV sealant.

steamawayinc

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 07:10:52 PM »
yep, stick the probes thru the top holes. God made holes to stick things in. Use it as God intended.

Rob Babcock

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 03:44:41 AM »
Yep, thread the probe wire down thru the vent/chimney hole.  Also it might be a bit late but Thermoworks makes about the best thermocouple thermometers you can get at any sane price level.  I'm a pro chef and I have four of five of their various units (2 Thermopens, 2 infrared & 2 probes).