Author Topic: Smoker Temperature for Smoked Whole turkey  (Read 6286 times)

rowsteve65

Smoker Temperature for Smoked Whole turkey
« on: November 08, 2014, 10:14:28 PM »
Being new to this, and having read in a number of places that people smoke their turkeys at 275-300 degrees, I am concerned about the top temperature of the Smokin-It Model 2 being 250.  Does that cause anyone a problem when smoking a whole turkey?  How long does it take the smoker to get up to the set temperature for a 12-14 pound bird?  Have there been problems maintaining the set temperature?  Last, I am trying to decide between the Maverick 732 and 733, and this will be my first wireless thermometer.  Other than the variety of game meats that have setting on the 733, are there any other advantages of it over the 732?  Thanks.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Smoker Temperature for Smoked Whole turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 09:02:07 AM »
250 works great for turkey!  As you can imagine, this is a common question, around here, this time of year! ;)

Here's a reply I recently posted for another new user:

"Here's a link to a "group" turkey smoke we did last Thanksgiving:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1172.0

Here's a great post on a small turkey:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1172.0

I love this technique of using "mire poix" in the bird - equal parts of chopped onion, celery and carrots.  This really stabilizes the temp while cooking, and gives the meat an incredible flavor!

You'll be able to fit up to a 14 lb bird in the #1.  I don't recommend going larger than that, anyways, due to the time spent in the "danger zone" of unsafe temperature (when smoking at low-temp).  In the first link I posted, I showed I smoked that bird at 240.  I now use 250 for all poultry, chicken or turkey.  You want to smoke until the breast temp hits 165; on a 13 lb bird, this will be around 5 hours."

You can find lots of turkey posts by going to the "Chicken and Other Birds" section, and typing Turkey in the search box.  You might do a search under all of the smoker model sections, too, as many ask that question under their specific model.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

rowsteve65

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 10:28:26 AM »
Thanks so much!  Do you know if there are any advantages of the Maverick 732 vs. 733?  This is my first wireless, and there's only a $10 difference between the two.  But as with all things, sometimes more complicated is not better.

Steve

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 03:54:40 PM »
Steve, the 733 wasn't out when I got my 732 (which is a solid unit).  Had it been, I would have gone with the 733.  It has a better display, if nothing else. 

The 735 Bluetooth model is coming out, and it looks pretty cool!  The main difference I see, with it, is the probes are redesigned and look much more durable.  Check out this link:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2339.0
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

rowsteve65

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 12:22:58 AM »
Tony,

Do you know whether the "poultry rub for all seasons" that is discussed in another thread would be used on the skin of the turkey or under the skin?  Thanks.

Steve

rowsteve65

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 12:28:23 AM »
Tony,

One other beginner question.  Would you put a container of liquid in the smoker for a whole turkey?  If not, under what circumstances would you use a container of liquid in the smoker?  Thanks.

Steve

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 11:24:20 AM »
I haven't smoked a turkey yet. But I generally never put water in the smoker for poultry if you are smoking skin-on. The skin prevents the water from having much affect and also makes it even more rubbery than it is.

You would definitely want to brine though. That is where you are going to get your moisture from.

I do use water pans for Pork butts, Briskets, Ribs and pretty much everything else except for Jerky, Snack Stix, and Poultry.

My 2 cents anyway.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 09:06:34 PM »
Steve - I never use a liquid pan with any poultry.  The skin of a chicken or turkey makes it the only "waterproof" meat we smoke - just like our skin makes us that way!  External moisture really won't penetrate the skin, so that's why I try to get the moisture from the inside out!  That's in the form of brining, and cut up veggies in the cavity.

I, personally, don't put the rub under the skin.  I don't like to disrupt the skin that much, but that's just me.  Many do; personal preference, I guess.  Either way is right!
Tony from NW Arkansas

rowsteve65

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 11:14:45 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice.  It kept me from making a mistake with the Thanksgiving turkey.  Hope I don't screw it up.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Steve