Author Topic: What size smoker do I need  (Read 7597 times)

dannyboy

What size smoker do I need
« on: November 03, 2014, 06:09:13 PM »
Great board folks. Look forward to becoming a Smokin-it owner very soon. My question is I will routinely be feeding 6 to 8 people. It seems to me that a model 1 is a little small.  Is a Model 1 large enough or should I get a Model #2? Thanks for you input.
#2, Large Big Green Egg, married for 43  yrs to same wonderful woman. Retired from UPS after 30 yrs. Bass fishing, wood working, are my current hobbies.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: What size smoker do I need
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 06:20:54 PM »
Hi Danny,

What type of meats/food will you be smoking?

If it is primarily butts and brisket flats or points, you would probably be OK with a #1.

But once you start trying to fit several racks of ribs in the smoker, you are most likely going to want at least a #2 or maybe even a #3. I love being able to fit an entire rack or ribs in my #3 without having to cut them in half like you would have to do in the #1/#2.

I have a #3 and for the most part could have gotten away with a #2, but I have now had smokes where I have filled the #3 to the max. I don't remember ever reading anyone here wishing that would have purchased the smaller of the models they were considering. Although, now that I say that someone will perk up to prove me wrong ;)

You can always smoke less in a larger smoker, but not more in a smaller smoker. So, I say go as large as your budget will allow. For me it was between the #2 and #3 and I justified the #3 because this is a 20+ year smoker, not a 2-3 year smoker like the cheapo's that I had been buying. These things are built to last.

That being said, I think you will be very happy with the Smokin-It brand of smoker no matter what size you choose.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

dannyboy

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 06:28:01 PM »
WOW quick reply. Thanks for the advice. Yes ribs will be a regular item I smoke. Ribs, butts, tenderloin and chicken will make up most of my cooking. Wife doesn't care for beef so I don't get to do brisket too often. I think I already know my answer. I'm ordering a 2. 
#2, Large Big Green Egg, married for 43  yrs to same wonderful woman. Retired from UPS after 30 yrs. Bass fishing, wood working, are my current hobbies.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 07:04:06 PM »
The #2 is a great average size and really big bang for your buck.

Congrats!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 08:52:43 PM »
I love the #2, Danny!  Not that the Q real estate of a #3 wouldn't come in handy, once in a while, I have never had the #2 not fit my needs and perform like a champ!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 08:13:07 AM »
For 6 to 8 people, I think the #2 would be better than a #1, and the #3 would be another step up.  I have a #2 and regularly smoke 3 to 4 racks of ribs.  I have done two whole 5# chickens side by side.  I have also smoked a 13# turkey with no problems, so I think the #2 will produce enough Q for your needs.  Good luck!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 08:42:02 AM »
I like the #3, my friend has a #2 so I was able to see the size of it prior to ordering. I knew that cooking for my wife and three teenage sons and extended family and guests the #2 would be overstuffed on occasion. Most days and meals it would be fine. I like the depth and height of the #3 everything fits.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 01:31:52 PM »
Keep in mind that you can always smoke less in a larger unit, but you can't smoke more in a smaller unit.   If the price point allows, then a #3 would be a god choice for the extra room.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

es1025

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 01:07:12 PM »
If you have the means get the #3. Smoking a full rack of ribs is worth the extra $$$. The larger heating element 1200w was key as well. I was faced with this decision 1.5 years ago and went with the #3.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 10:41:19 PM »
I definitely recommend going with the biggest smoker that you can afford.
I regret buying the #1...I should have went with the #3.
There's more to consider than just pounds of capacity...the #1 is quite cramped.
Few regret getting a bigger smoker.

~Martin
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 06:12:40 AM by DiggingDogFarm »
~Martin

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 09:32:25 AM »
I got my SI#2 after comparing the different models an am really pleased with the results. I don't think you will have any problem feeding 6 - 8 with a #2. While the #3 gives a lot more room I don't think I would use it enough for my family. But whatever choice you make, I do know you will really enjoy the smoker.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Walt

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 01:00:50 PM »
I have cooked almost 30lbs of ribs@ once in my #2.  Cooking for 6 to 8 wont even make it sweat,  You cant go wrong with either the 2 or 3.  Whichever one fits YOUR budget will work just fine & you will be happy.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 06:45:07 PM »
I have cooked almost 30lbs of ribs@ once in my #2.  Cooking for 6 to 8 wont even make it sweat,  You cant go wrong with either the 2 or 3.  Whichever one fits YOUR budget will work just fine & you will be happy.

+1
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!