Author Topic: 1st Brisket in #3. Any suggestions?  (Read 7626 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
1st Brisket in #3. Any suggestions?
« on: October 17, 2014, 03:54:04 PM »
I just picked up a 12lb Packer to smoke in my #3. I've smoked a few briskets but never in my new smoker.  I wouldn't mind injecting it and rubbing it.

I'm interested what people inject them with? 

I have my own rub but wouldn't mind trying a new rub. I've heard equal parts paprika, salt and black pepper is a decent rub... Anyone tried it?  Let me know what you've tried successfully!

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Re: 1st Brisket in #3. Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 06:11:37 PM »
Also, I see conflicting opinions as to fat cap up or down?  I had an old smokey electric prior to SI3 and I always went with fat cap down to protect the meat from the heat. Any opinions on this?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 06:34:58 PM »
I used to just inject brisket with this injection:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2230.0

But now, I'm into brining!  Here's a post of a brined brisket smoke:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2160.0

Next time, I'm going to brine, then inject and wrap (for flavor, not moisture or tenderness).  I just like the taste of my injection. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 09:22:24 PM »
Thanks Divot!

Do you put the fat cap up or down?
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 10:58:46 PM »
I usually go fat cap up, but my last packer (the second link), went fat cap down.  There was hardly any fat, at all, on the other side of the flat, so I went cap down.  Not sure how much difference this really makes...great results both ways!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 11:55:09 PM »
Thanks!  I just finished getting 'er ready.  Used a mustard base, and a rub of equal parts course ground pepper, paprika & kosher salt.  Zipped 'er up in the vacuum sealer and shoved 'er back in the fridge till tomorrow night.

Planning on using hickory.  I usually like Oak but I don't have any at the moment.  I did find a place in Houston that has fruitawood and stopped there a couple of weeks ago and picked up some peach and maple.  I'm debating mixing in a small block of the Maple into the smoke box.  Not sure.

I haven't run into any problems yet in my SI smoker but in my Old Smokey, if I place the fat cap up, the meat side would be tough on the non fat cap side.  And as with your brisket, mine doesn't have any fat on the flat on the non-cap side.  So, I'll probably go with Fat Cap Down so that it doesn't burn.

I do plan on adding a can full of apple juice or beer in the smoker to keep the moisture level up.

I'll go about 220F until I hit 190, no peaky.  Then, wrap it and throw it in the cooler for a nice rest before slicing.

I decided to try injecting and maybe using a little instacure on the next brisket. 

Nothing that I have smoke so far in my No. 3 has been anything less than stellar!  Even the ribs which I will attempt to make better, were the best I have ever made.  And everyone who had them absolutely loved them.

I'm loving the No. 3!  Looking forward to my next purchase... an Auber!

The Woodlands, Texas

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 03:24:07 AM »
at our house, regardless of the cut and type of meat, always fat cap up so it self bastes.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Walt

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 11:34:22 AM »
Fat cap up for me as well.  My method is posted under Walt's brined & injected brisket.  A bit more prep but well worth it.  Pecan, oak or hickory is great & maybe a small piece of cherry with one of those is good for the wood but is subjective to individual taste. Good luck.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 03:29:12 PM »
Thanks guys!

Where is the best place to insert the probe into the meat?
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 03:37:34 PM »
On a full packer cut, I insert the probe at an angle into the thickest part where the point and flat are together, but make sure the tip is in the meat, not the fat layer between the point and flat. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 08:31:27 PM »
Big fan of simple.

I smoke brisket at 250 with a salt and pepper rub, fat cap up.

Wrap at 165 and pull at 195.  this is Aaron Franklin's method.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 01:54:16 PM »
Just pull her out to wrap and let rest. Tried a small bite of the corner and it tasted incredible!

I need to leave for 3-4 hours in just a bit.  I have triple wrapped it and placed it back in the smoker as low as I could set the temp.  Should I leave it that way or throw it in the cooler?  I'm worried I may be gone for 4 hours... Maybe slightly longer. Not sure yet. 

Opinions solicited!!!
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 02:31:53 PM »
You should be fine with it wrapped in the smoker.  I use 140 for a "hold" temp.
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 07:44:24 PM »
If you put in a small cooler, you can get 4 hours easy.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 01:22:15 PM »
Thanks again, guys!  I had already left my house before getting your replies.  So, I left the smoker on at 100F until I got back about 4 hours later.  I then turned it up to 150F for about 20 min to warm it up a little more before serving.  It was still very tender, juicy and delicious!

Before putting the brisket on the night before, my food probe had went on the blink on me.  So, I had basically smoked off of time.  Luckily, I estimated right.  I did go with the fat cap up and it turned out good.  However, I will smoke the next brisket fat cap down to see if there is any difference.

The brisket turned out great!  Thank you all for your help.  I did take some picture and will post them soon as I figure out how.

The rub of equal parts paprika/kosher salt/course ground pepper turned out to be fantastic!  I will definitely be using this rub again!  I highly recommend you try it!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 09:16:25 AM by Libohunden »
The Woodlands, Texas