Author Topic: Lamb Chops  (Read 6105 times)

Walt

Lamb Chops
« on: September 14, 2014, 11:31:12 PM »
My daughter requested lamb chops.... but I have always pan seared them & finished them off in the oven.  That is how she likes them.  I HAD to apply some smoke so my intention was to shoot for a subtle amount.

I made a pesto-like mixture useing fresh tarragon, thyme, rosemary, garlic, creole mustard, seasoning & olive oil.  Applied a thick coating of it to the meat, wrapped it & let sit for 36 hours.  I then put it in with a few small red potatoes @ 175 for an hour useing some pecan.  After an hour the meat was 120 degrees.  Pulled the meat & cranked the heat up to 250 & let the potatoes continue.  I then reverse seared the chops until IT 140 & let rest.

For sides i roasted some yellow beets, brussel sprouts & diced potatoes from the smoker in a little bacon fat, onions & garlic.  I also cooked some baby portabellas down & added that to the pan sauce.

The meal was great.  The smoke was light so the herb & lamb flavor was in the forefront with a light smoke flavor in the background.  This also carried over with a subtle smoke flavor in the roasted vegetable hash as well as the pan sauce.  It really tied all three items together well but allowed the original flavors to shine through.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

bigfoot21075

Re: Lamb Chops
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 03:08:23 PM »
I have to admit, Lamb is something we never ate growing up and I have never tried to cook it. We have a high end local restaurant here that has it on the menu, I ordered it recently and was BLOWN AWAY at how wonderful the rare Lamb Chops I got were. I will have to try this at home.

Your pic inspires me - it just looks amazing!
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 05:21:15 PM »
OK Walt, showing my ignorance here.... what's "reverse sere"? :P I love lamb but have never tried smoking it.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Camadile

• Cookin' Outdoors, Mojoe Style
    • Mojoe Outfitters
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 07:17:14 PM »
Hey Walt:

Awesome post!  I love lamb but never considered smoking it!  I love the idea of a light background smoke and leaving the meat medium rare.  Who'd a thunk it?

Cam

Walt

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 07:32:47 PM »
Bob,

You know how a steak is best with a good hard sear done over high heat, sealing the juices in.  The meat is seared by putting over high heat & then brought to desired temp useing indirect heat.  With these smokers we do the process in reverse.  In this case I smoked the chops to IT 120, removed & placed in a hot skillet & reverse seared (or some say "browned") until  IT 140, expecting a finished IT of 145 while resting.

Works well with steaks, prime rib (DM has a good post on this), or anything you are looking for a medium to medium rare center with a seared crust on the outside.

Cam & Bigfoot,

Thanks, its really an easy meal that is different and was completely enjoyed.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:37:43 PM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 08:10:40 PM »
I came across the "reverse sear" method about 6 or 7 years ago, when researching the best way to cook prime rib.  I read an article on the technique, comparing it to the "traditional" method of searing, then cooking.  The author had really good pictures and analysis, and I was hooked!

If you "brown" the meat first, and are going for a medium-rare to medium finish, you will end up with a 1/4" or more of medium-well meat at the surface (the gray ring).  This is ok if your cooking pot roast, but not cool on a nice cut of prime rib!

By slow smoking (or cooking in the oven) at 200-210°, then searing after, you end up with a paper-thin crust, and pink all the way to the edge!  Amazing how well this works.

I also use the reverse-sear on things like sirloin tip roasts (poor mans prime rib) and pork loins.  Loins don't develop a bark, when smoked at 225° to IT 155°, so the reverse sear (on the grill, for me) gives them a nice crust, but keeps the inside moist and tender!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 09:31:31 PM »
Cool tip guys. I am going to have to try that.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Camadile

• Mojoe Outfitters
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 11:33:01 PM »
I always seem to go against the grain!  I always use what I call the forward sear method.  For example, when I do Tri-tip, I use un-trimed tri-tip and throw the rubbed TT directly on the hot coals stacked against on side of the Weber.  The fat renders and most people would think that I burn the crap out of it.  Once it is all black, I move it over to the "indirect" side, throw some smoke wood over the coals and cover. after a while, I start slathering the TT with sauce and keep turning it and saucing it until it is medium rare.

When it is done and rested, I slice it into 1/4" slices.  Each slice is surrounded by sauced carbon.  The flavor is incredible.

Cam

Camadile

• Mojoe Outfitters
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 11:34:19 PM »
Sorry, it seems that I have swerved way off the lamb thing!

Cam

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 08:12:08 AM »

Cam

Seems like you're just discussing the sear method, that applies to the lamb or anything else!  Good to hear from you again, Cam!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Camadile

• Mojoe Outfitters
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 09:47:41 AM »

Cam

Seems like you're just discussing the sear method, that applies to the lamb or anything else!  Good to hear from you again, Cam!

Hi Tony!  Thanks - I do stop by periodically and stalk you guys but I am embarrassed to say that I haven't done a good smoke in months.  Salmon just will not go on sale here!

Cam