Author Topic: OK I'm the dummy here  (Read 4544 times)

al_sfbay

OK I'm the dummy here
« on: September 09, 2014, 07:07:11 AM »
I just got an Auber with a fixed probe.  So now I have a few questions.  After drilling the hole in the back and placing the probe, I ran the wire down the back as the newer plug (stereo jack) is bigger than the 5/16" hole, so the plug would not feed thru the back hole.  As a result I have a big hole in the back. Won't smoke and heat escape out of there since there is no insulation?

Secondly, now  I feel really dumb,  Do I just plug the smoker into the heat generator?  If so when I did that the ON light blinked on my #2.  I turned the SI dial to 250. 

jpittssr

Re: OK I'm the dummy here
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 09:06:14 AM »
I just got an Auber with a fixed probe.  So now I have a few questions.  After drilling the hole in the back and placing the probe, I ran the wire down the back as the newer plug (stereo jack) is bigger than the 5/16" hole, so the plug would not feed thru the back hole.  As a result I have a big hole in the back. Won't smoke and heat escape out of there since there is no insulation?

Secondly, now  I feel really dumb,  Do I just plug the smoker into the heat generator?  If so when I did that the ON light blinked on my #2.  I turned the SI dial to 250.
I'm not quite sure I understand about the drilled holes.
You should have 1 (one) 5/16 hole drilled through the back of the INNER cabinet. This is where you mount the probe. You really need a 1 inch spacer to prevent the nylon of the probe from protruding so far into the smoker.
After mounting the probe and reinstalling the insulation, run the probe wire down the back (before installing the back cover) toward the hole where the power cord enters. The power cord has a strain relief where it exits the smoker. remove the strain relief by compressing the locking part of it. (This is hard to explain without pictures) Run the probe wire out through the same hole where the power cord exits then replace the strain relief enclosing the cord and the wire.
If you only drilled one hole in the back I hope it was in the proper place to mount the probe. If you drilled an extra hole, buy a very short 5/16 bolt and use it to stop up the hole. If you drilled a hole in the back cover you can either stop it up as described or leave it open.
Plug the probe into probe 1 (top) hole. Plug the smoker into the receptacle marked "HEATER" (NOT THE SMOKE GENERATOR)
Turn the controller to 250 and leave it there. when you turn the Auber on it should turn on the smoker on
IF, the Auber still has the default program at location C-1.
Most of us have found that we get better results with the Auber by bypassing the standard controller but that is another subject and I will not attempt to explain it here. There is instructions on the forum if you need them.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 07:44:16 PM »
Hey Allison, pictures of what you did would be very helpful.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

al_sfbay

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 01:46:42 PM »
Guys,
 My probe is different than the probes in the pics. I think it is longer and is not threaded all the way to the plastic hex head.  There is a smooth part next to the hex head. I assume that functions like a spacer.  The other difference is the plug for the probe is an old fashioned audio jack, much fatter and longer than the one in the pics.

In the meantime I am now all hooked up and good to go, but when I plug in to the heater, and turn the dial to 250, the light on the dial blinks.  Is that normal?

jpittssr

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 03:47:54 PM »
Guys,
 My probe is different than the probes in the pics. I think it is longer and is not threaded all the way to the plastic hex head.  There is a smooth part next to the hex head. I assume that functions like a spacer.  The other difference is the plug for the probe is an old fashioned audio jack, much fatter and longer than the one in the pics.

In the meantime I am now all hooked up and good to go, but when I plug in to the heater, and turn the dial to 250, the light on the dial blinks.  Is that normal?
That's the way my probe was. I happened to have a lot of sheet goods that is some type of neoprene or plastic and is 1 in thick. I cut a small block of it and drilled a hole for the probe. It left enough protruding to go through the cabinet and still have room for the full nut to go on. The 5/16 drill made a very tight fit in the spacer where there was no threads.
As for the blinking light, on mine, I see the red light blink but the output light on the Auber also blinks. The reason is that the Auber don't just turn on a element and stay on until the temperature reaches the set point. It is more efficient to pulse the element I suppose.

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 06:59:03 PM »
Ed's right - your blinking smoker light indicates the Auber is sending current to it, and should match the little green light above the right window.

Now that you have it hooked up, download the autotune instructions here:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1869.0

Let us know how it turns out!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

al_sfbay

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 12:29:10 AM »
Sorry I have been MIA, lots going on here, we're replacing windows and trying to miss the autumn rains. 

I tried my Auber for the first time tonite.  I must be a total dummy.  I tried to program it at 225 to terminate at 203 IT.  the cabinet probe ( and my maverick) are reading from 224-240 YIKES!  Thats why I chose a butt as it is forgiving. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 07:33:35 PM »
Hey Allison,

Sounds like you haven't performed the autotune.  Here's the instructions:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1869.0

Also, with the 1200GPH, you'll need to enter the program in the instructions after hooking it up to the smoker and powering on.  No need to use wood during the autotune.  Once your PID "learns" your smoker's characteristics, you'll have those tight temps.

Good luck on the remodel! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

al_sfbay

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 12:14:36 PM »
Thanks guys  I will try the auto-tune first then the correct programing!  I will keep you posted.