Author Topic: Guide to Smoking Times, Temperatures and Woods  (Read 99811 times)

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Guide to Smoking Times, Temperatures and Woods
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2015, 08:36:38 AM »
Just saw some of the initial posts requesting a non pdf version.

I did a quick convert when I first saw this to a google doc spreadsheet, so I could make my own notes and changes to it based on my smokes.  I can access it from all my tablets and phones to do edits.   Here is the original version with no changes if anyone wants to do the same.  I like this way better because I can give access to other google accounts to make edits if I wish. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zC7m5RJ-bUp-lkPeRIJUh-MEGxxLe0XCYimWrbXz01Y/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks Trip!

Greg

Sum1

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2015, 10:34:50 AM »
Hi all. This guide is amazing and very helpful. Many thanks for putting it together.

I have a question regarding bacon. The guide refers to "venison bacon". What about regular, pig bacon? There's no info about that.

TIA!
Zvi from Brooklyn

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2015, 12:49:52 PM »
Hi all. This guide is amazing and very helpful. Many thanks for putting it together.

I have a question regarding bacon. The guide refers to "venison bacon". What about regular, pig bacon? There's no info about that.

TIA!

I think getting into belly bacon is probably too advanced for a simple guide like this.  The process is really more complicated than just a simple starter, like for ribs and such.  Your best bet, for bacon, is to browse/search the Bacon section and find the best posts and repeat them.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

dibiase

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2016, 12:18:33 PM »
I'm new to the SI smoker so I found the document very helpful.  One question I have is does the amount of meat matter for the amount of wood?  For example if I smoke 8 racks of ribs instead of  2 racks should I add a little more wood?
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2016, 12:24:51 PM »
No, the amount of meat would not change how much wood you would use. For 8 racks of ribs, I would still stick with 2.5-3.0 ounces.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

dibiase

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2016, 01:35:11 PM »
Thanks Gregg.
Chris from Wausau, WI
Smokin It 3D

RoryDean

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2016, 08:13:18 AM »
Getting ready to smoke a 9lb Boston Butt for Thanksgiving in a SI #3. With the outside temps getting down to around 32 degrees at night how much will that affect the overall time ? Should I plan on a longer cook time ? It's always been about 16 to 18 hours at 235 degrees but it's always been during the summer months. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2016, 01:38:54 PM »
The ambient temperature shouldn't really affect your cooking time that much other than maybe an extra 10-15 minutes to get up to temp. Once up to temp, the SI #3 will have no problem keeping the temp at your desired temp.

I usually smoke my poultry (Chicken and Turkey) at 250 though. Poultry doesn't benefit from the low and slow temps like briskets/butts do.

I have smoked in -20F with zero issues.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2016, 09:55:50 PM »
First, welcome RoryDean from SE Arizona. I am with Gregg on this.  The outside temp will not matter.  Obviously it will take a little more time for the box temp to get where you want it but smooth sailing (smoking?) from that point on. Be sure to check back in and let us know how it went.  Enjoy!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2016, 10:11:42 PM »
What they said, Rory!  Welcome to the club!  Now that you're here, how about heading over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself?  Also, a first name and town, in your signature line, is nice.  I assume your first name is Rory, but it would also be nice to know who you're neighbors with!

I look forward to your picture & posts!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bartjoebob

• Yippee Kay yay
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2017, 05:03:36 PM »
Hello, new here... i just want to verify "Smoker Temps" listed on this guide are ambient internal temps and not the dial/setting on the smoker itself.  I've used our model #2 a few times and notice its runs apprx 20 or so degrees hot.  If I set the temp for 235 for ribs, the unit will stay pretty around 250+  Thanks for putting this together, great help for getting started!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2017, 06:41:32 PM »
Don't chase the box temp, set the dial and go with that. If you do not have an Auber the temp will swing but the average is what the dial is set at.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2017, 07:02:00 PM »
Hello, new here... i just want to verify "Smoker Temps" listed on this guide are ambient internal temps and not the dial/setting on the smoker itself. 

It's the dial setting...  do yourself a favor and never, ever measure your box temp ever again unless you have seriously good cause to believe there is a smoker malfunction.  :)
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

TexasSMK

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2017, 11:27:56 AM »
I use this guide often--and just realized I haven't said thanks.  Thanks much! :)
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber

jaka (Ken)

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2018, 11:31:29 AM »
Beautiful guide and just what I'm needing at the start of my experience in smoking. One question: When weighing one's wood (2 oz. for example) does it matter if it's chips or chunks? Do they both (in the same 2 oz. weight) perform the same?
Ken Admire
Retired from Navy and also oil/gas industry.
Using #3D Smoker. Started with the 2D and
loved it but gave it to one of my sons when I
bought the larger 3D.