Author Topic: What do you wrap in?  (Read 6284 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
What do you wrap in?
« on: September 03, 2014, 06:52:49 PM »
For all of us without a vacuum seal, what do you use for wrapping your meat for dry aging? Or is this one of those "suck it up and buy a vacuum machine" deals?
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: What do you wrap in?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 07:48:15 PM »
Suck it up and buy a vacuum sealer.  lol. ;)   Seriously, there isn't a better investment for our hobby - I'd be lost without one!

To answer your question about dry-aging:  You can dry-age with the meat unwrapped, or wrapped in a few layers of cheese cloth.  I have done it both ways, but now only use the UMAi dry age bags; they are incredible!  They even have a kit that includes a vacuum sealer!

Check out all of our posts here on the dry age bags, and go to www.drybagsteak.com to learn a lot about the process.  The advantage to the bags (unless you have a very controlled dry aging setup) is that they are like Gore-Tex for meat; they allow the moisture to escape, but bacteria can't get it.  They work really well.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 09:54:47 PM »
You can do it without the sealer, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E97xZjDJ4lQ
Alton Brown demonstrated a similar method on his show using two Rubbermaid containers, one as a base and one as a lid. He placed a rack in the bottom and had holes drilled all over to allow airflow. Alton was recommending that method to enhance a beef roast over a few weeks but you could go longer. This guy with the salt pans seems to have a good method. I believe you could get by with kosher salt instead of sea.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

mnsmoker

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 09:02:43 PM »
I couldn't resist this one having done a 28 day a 30 and a 35 day; get the vacuum sealer and the umai bags they make this nearly a fool proof method for dry aging beef, you just need a fridge capable of holding a consistent 34 degrees for a month or better..........and a couple hundred bucks for the meat......ugh!!!!
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 09:13:21 PM »
......and a couple hundred bucks for the meat......ugh!!!!

Ain't THAT the truth!  Crazy...
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I will have to give it a shot for Christmas roast. OK Tony I will suck it up. Bummer though, my birthday is in January. Is there something like Thanksgiving presents??  ;D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 07:24:05 PM »
Thanks guys. I will have to give it a shot for Christmas roast. OK Tony I will suck it up. Bummer though, my birthday is in January. Is there something like Thanksgiving presents??  ;D

Happy Fall Equinox, Bob!  September 23rd!  Nothing says "welcome to Fall" like a new vacuum sealer! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 02:47:44 PM »
Great idea Tony! Any suggestions on make model? I don't have much experience in this area.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 07:02:01 PM »
Bob, check out the "Gadgets and Gizmos" section - lots of great reviews in there.  I have a FoodSaver Professional III, but they don't make it anymore.  If I needed to replace it, I would look at the Ary VacMaster Pro 260.
Tony from NW Arkansas

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 06:29:29 PM »
Thanks Tony. 😊
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN