Author Topic: #2 arrived a few questions  (Read 8202 times)

KyDog

#2 arrived a few questions
« on: August 15, 2014, 09:05:18 AM »
My new #2 was delivered yesterday, after unpacking the smoker i noticed a small ding on the right rear corner from shipping damage, not that bad i think i can smooth it out. Unpacked and cleaned out the inside and found a screw in bottom of cabinet, it came out of the back wall just above the element and below the first L bracket welded on the back.
I tried to screw it back in but evidently something in the back of the smoker had came loose. I will have to remove the back plate and insulation tonight after work.
 My first question on the new smoker is " to soak the wood or not" for seasoning and also for smoking meat? i have read where there were is of the wood igniting and creationg a bitter taste to the meat.
New to this smoking thing  and could use a few pointers(OK a lot of pointer), so enlighten me Ol' wise ones!
Thx Dave

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: #2 arrived a few questions
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 09:46:06 AM »
Hi Dave..sorry to hear about the ding and screw falling out.   As for the wood, go ahead and season the smoker without soaking the hickory dowels.  You should have received a bag of hickory from Steve...use 2 of the dowels for seasoning.   As for regular smoking, I have tried soaking and not soaking the wood and I don't know that it really matters.  It would take a long time for a wood chunk to really absorb much of the water, so I seldom bother anymore.    Dry wood does have the potential for combustion in the smoker box, but then again I have experienced combustion even with wood that I soaked!   At this point, I put my wood in a small pouch of AL foil (leaving the top of the pouch open) and placed that in the wood box, which has eliminated the combustion (I assume by limiting the amount of air that reaches the wood).    Good luck...let us know if you have more questions.  Cheers!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:16:55 AM »
Hey Dave,
 I would contact Steve in reference the screw and I feel certain he can get you lined out.
Remember these smokers require very little wood, so if you soak your chips or chunks it is going to prolong your wood which will create longer smoke. I've heard people doing both way. Just experiment and what ever way suits you I would go with.
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 12:44:32 PM »
Dave,
* Take pictures of the damage and any repairs you have to make. Stay in contact with Steve at SI regarding the issues. He is a good guy and will help out I'm sure.
* Per Steve- There is no need to soak your wood if it comes from him or a good source. UNLESS- It is overly dry from age or is chip, then he recommends a 30 minute soak. The new wood you just got from SI does not need a soak.

Good luck, feel free to post any questions, but the search feature usually works pretty good.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

KyDog

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 12:53:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies, i've already talked to Steve about the issues. I've got to look at the smoker when i get home because it was late when i unpacked it last night, but where the screw is missing, is where the thermostat guard should have been mounted according to a picture Steve sent me and I don't recall it being there are the thermostat for that matter.
Dave

KyDog

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 03:01:29 PM »
good news is the thermosat and guarding is in place like it should be, but still need to take off back plate and see where the loose screw came from.
Dave

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 03:48:46 PM »
Might be just an extra screw that got inside of the box during assembly?  I would also check all of the holes on the outside of the box...I did have a screw that loosened from the outside.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 08:33:02 PM »
Dave, this is the first time I've seen this problem!  Is the part tight, and/or are you sure the loose screw is from the thermostat guard?  If it is, you will have to remove the back, as there is a nut on that screw.  This is very unusual!  Things happen, so don't let this discourage you about your new smoker.  But, I have to say, this is a new one for me!

For seasoning, just put 2-3 of the hickory dowels in, with no foil inside, and let her rip at 250 for 4 hours.  Good to go after that.

BTW, if you do have to pull the back, wear some latex or nitrile gloves - the insulation is itchy!

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

KyDog

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 09:53:10 PM »
There is a hole on the back wall of the smoker where the screw came out of.
There was nothing attached on the inside , so will take back of box off tomorrow and find the missing nut.
If nothing else just to close the hole back up.
 Dave

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 10:07:17 PM »
Sounds like you're taking it like a sport, Dave!  When you remove the back, pay attention to where the wiring runs.  There are 3 layers of insulation, so make sure all the wiring is put back between the proper layers (between 2 and 3).  I know this is a pain, especially for a brand-new smoker, but this experience will give you some great insight on how these things are built, and what to expect if you someday decide to upgrade to an Auber PID controller with a bypass and a permanent probe!  Check out the Auber Tips and Tricks section to see what I mean by this!  Turn those lemons into lemon juice! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

KyDog

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 11:02:43 PM »
I was kinda hoping Steve want it shipped back , I was going to upgrade to the model #3.
The #2 was a little smaller than I thought it would be. Big enough though.
The 20# depth would have been nice.  ;)

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 11:11:50 PM »
I was kinda hoping Steve want it shipped back , I was going to upgrade to the model #3.
The #2 was a little smaller than I thought it would be. Big enough though.
The 20# depth would have been nice.  ;)

Before you season it, or pull it apart, call Steve and tell them this.  He'll work with you.
Tony from NW Arkansas

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 11:18:18 PM »
Dave,

Ditto what DivotMaker says.

Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066