Author Topic: 1st Smoke Babyback Ribs  (Read 6144 times)

rycofit

1st Smoke Babyback Ribs
« on: August 10, 2014, 11:30:24 PM »
Received my #1 about a week ago and finally was able to smoke my first set of babyback ribs today.  Put my rub on Saturday afternoon and let them sit overnight in the fridge wrapped.  Put the 3 racks on the rib rack this morning and started smoking them at around 11:00 with 1 piece of hickory.  Ribs turned out pretty nice but I may have left them on a little too long as some of the outer ribs were a bit dry.  But over all I think it went well for my first smoke.  They smoked for 6 hours between 200-220 degrees.  Temp had about a twenty degree range as the heating element turned on and off according to my temp gauge.  Any help in how to stabilize this would be appreciated.  I used apple cider vinegar in the bottom of the smoker to try and keep things moist and as a heat sink.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:35:10 PM by rycofit »
Judd from Illinois
#1 Owner

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: 1st Smoke Babyback Ribs
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 12:08:20 AM »
Looks pretty good for your first time.

Did you use a binder like Mustard or Oil before applying your rub? If not, next time I would recommend putting a layer of plain old yellow mustard on the ribs before applying your rub. You will get a nice bark during the smoking process and you will not taste the mustard at all.

What rack did you have the ribs on? You'll want them to be up as high as you can do without touching the top of the smoker as the temps are more stable toward the top of the smoker.

Regarding temp swings, a 20 degree temp swing is at or below normal, so nothing you're going to be able to do about that (and that is OK) unless you purchase an Auber element control unit. There is a whole section for the Auber on the main page.

Personally, I don't mind the temp swings and my temp swings are typically closer to 30-40 degrees. In the end I don't think it affects the taste at all. But if you want to remove the swings the Auber will do it for you. The biggest benefit of the Auber though is that it lets you program your smoke. So, if you like to ramp up your temp at the beginning of the smoke to help prevent the notorious "Belch", you can program that as well as set a resting period at the end of the smoke once it hits the meat temp that you are looking for.

But for ribs, next time I would try smoking at 235 and checking them after 4.5 hours.

I think you're good on the wood. Typically you'll want to use between 2-3 ounces of wood depending on how much smoke you like. I like a fair amount of smoke, so I typically run closer to 3 than two, but that's just me.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

rycofit

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 12:22:44 AM »
Didn't use a binder this time.  Definitely will try it on the next one though.  Thanks for the advice. I guess they will get better every time around as I learn how to use the smoker.

Also not sure why it turned my photos upside down and on their side????
Judd from Illinois
#1 Owner

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 01:32:35 AM »
I am finding that I am getting my personal preference of tender ribs in 3.5 to 4.5 hours depending on how thick the ribs are. Nothing is really hurt if you pop that door and twist a bone with a pair of tongs at 4 hours. If they aren't done enough, shut the door you didn't loose much heat. You need to find YOUR ideal cook time. Some folks like loose ribs others don't.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

mnsmoker

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:22:47 AM »
I like 4 1/2 hours @ 235 then turn the smoker off sauce the ribs then leave them in the smoker for another 30 minutes.
Jim from Minnesota

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 01:40:40 PM »
Welcome and this is a good place to be...
Happy Smokin
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 08:00:51 PM »
Looks good, rycofit (if that is, indeed, your name).  lol.  Seriously, adding your first name, and where you're from, to your signature line let's us know who our new family member is!

I'm a big yellow mustard for binder on ribs guy.  I love the bark it makes, and doesn't add any flavor!  I also like 235 for the temp, with apple juice or apple cider in the water pan (not sure about vinegar...did you notice any hint of it in the meat?).

Like Gregg said, we all have our level of tenderness, so this is FAR from a "cookie cutter" process!  That's what makes our hobby/obsession fun!  We take in all this advice, and then find what works best for us!

Let us know how we can help, and I look forward to having you around! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 09:30:14 PM »
Good looking ribs.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

rycofit

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »
Does anyone know why my pictures got turned upside down after uploading them to the post???
Judd from Illinois
#1 Owner

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 04:59:02 PM »
I've never had that happen. Are you sure they are saved correctly on your computer/phone?

I think I have heard of people have this happen on IPADs.

That's what you get for using an Apple product. JK, I work for Microsoft. So, any jab I can get in on Apple I like to take it.

but seriously, I do think I have heard of this happening with IPADs/IPhones.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 07:46:03 PM »
Hi Judd - nice to meet you! :D

I've never had photos change orientation on upload!  In fact, I've never seen or heard of this.  Did you edit them in Paint, or something similar, to crop or resize?  In Windows, they usually save in the orientation in which they were edited, and should upload the same way. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

rycofit

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 01:10:51 PM »
The pictures were uploaded to my computer from a iPhone so that may be the issue???
Judd from Illinois
#1 Owner

jdiver

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 01:17:43 PM »
All my pics were taken with my iPhone as well. If they show right side up on your phone, it's odd they are not here. Oh well, we'll rotate with our eyes... :)
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 02:04:28 PM »
The pictures were uploaded to my computer from a iPhone so that may be the issue???

After uploading, did you modify them in a program like Paint? (not sure if you're a Mac or PC guy).  If saved right-side-up after editing, I have no idea why they would be rotated! ???
Tony from NW Arkansas