Author Topic: New Guy Smokin' Turkey  (Read 4858 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
New Guy Smokin' Turkey
« on: August 08, 2014, 03:58:23 PM »
Ok, I'm a new guy who just had to try out a whole turkey in my #2 model. It was a 12 pounder that I used es1025's recipe for poultry brine. After 13 hours with 5 oz of oak and it came out a little dark I admit but pretty tasty! The breast was a little dry though. Sorry but my picture file size is too big for the web or I would give you a view.

My question is whether others have a "dry" breast issue with doing a whole turkey. The rest was fine. Has anyone tried using a brine and injecting the breast so it doesn't dry out? Suggestions?

Love the new smoker though. I have so much more to try.....
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

es1025

Re: New Guy Smokin' Turkey
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 06:22:11 PM »
Bob
What temperature did you smoke at? Also, how much wood? Did you use a water pan?

Typically 5 hours in the smoker should get to an IT of 165.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 11:57:50 PM »
Welcome, Bob!  I agree with Ed that 13 hours is a long time for a 12 lb turkey!  The last time I did a whole turkey, it was 12.6 lbs, smoked at 240° for 5:15 to hit 165° in the breast.  I also stuff with equal amounts of chopped celery, carrots and onion (mire poix) to help stabilize the cook, and add some really nice flavor to the meat. 

If the turkey is already injected with a solution (like so many are), I don't brine.  I'll only brine a turkey or chicken that doesn't have solution added.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 03:10:19 AM »
I spatchcocked a 14 lb turkey and knocked it out in less than three hours at 250. It cooked a lot faster than I thought it would. So fast that I never really got good color on it.

As for your 13 hour bird....

Do you trust your thermometer, has it been verified in boiling water?
Are you sure your bird was fully defrosted?
How was the bird positioned in the smoker?

The only whole turkey I have done was brined, then trussed. I hung it from an S-hook from the top shelf of a Bradley. I tied it so the breast and neck cavity were up and the legs and thighs were down by the heating element. I felt that left the heat move around the bird and vent out the top. That bird took nearly six hours.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 09:10:06 PM »
Thanks to all for the replies. To answer your questions:
  • I didn't check the thermometer in hot water but it did register 32 deg when it came out of the brine that was right at that temp. I can check with boiling but it will be different since we live at 6500 ft.
  • the bird was on the middle rack.
  • i had the temp at 225 (cycled between 190 & 210 by the thermometer, which is a Maverick 733) then went to 250 at about 10 hrs when it was stuck at 150 internal temp..
  • i used a pan with Apple juice for moisture
  • I didn't stuff because I wanted to cook as quick as possible.

With respect to brining, I was considering using straight apple juice so that it countered the salt and added a little sweet/ fruit flavor. A bit off the reservation I would grant you but I tend to think outside the box... :D
I plan on taking another shot before too long and from what I gather from all you that I should really be using 250 for the smoke, correct? I also am considering whether I should just smoke for 3-4 hrs and just finish in the oven.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 09:28:53 PM »
Bob, I suspect your bird may have not been fully defrosted.  It's the only thing that could explain that internal temp at 10 hours...had to still be some frozen meat down deep.  What makes me think this is that you said the thermometer read 32° when you removed it from the brine; if I'm not mistaken, that is freezing.  Normally, a bird in brine will read the same temp as your fridge, which should be above freezing (35-39°).  Next time, make sure the bird is fully thawed in the fridge before brining.

About the brining - don't worry about countering the salt; that's what does the trick to add/retain moisture.  Check out this little "primer" on brining:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1504.0

If you rinse the surface salt off the bird before smoking, you really won't notice much extra saltiness to the meat.  It's a chemical/molecular thing that happens during brining, not just salt being absorbed in the meat.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 10:18:33 PM »
Tony, thanks for the quick response. I will give it another shot and make sure the bird is fully thawed. Leaving it on the back porch should do the trick!  ::) Only kidding!

BTW I see from your pic a U.S. Air Force logo. Are you prior service? I am retired U.S. Navy.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 01:17:12 AM »
Had to be slightly frozen. Brine in the fridge should be 36-38. I had one like that a before. The bird felt and looked fully thawed but it was frozen along the spine and kept the carcass chilled.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 01:54:19 PM »
Welcome Bob...You will love that NEW #2....This is a great place to be...
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 07:39:46 PM »
Tony, thanks for the quick response. I will give it another shot and make sure the bird is fully thawed. Leaving it on the back porch should do the trick!  ::) Only kidding!

BTW I see from your pic a U.S. Air Force logo. Are you prior service? I am retired U.S. Navy.

Thanks for you sticking it out to retirement, Bob!  I served 9 years USAF, but got caught up in the big draw-down in '92.  Still kick myself everyday for not hanging to retirement!
Tony from NW Arkansas