Author Topic: Beef Jerky Using A Jerky Cannon  (Read 16678 times)

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Beef Jerky Using A Jerky Cannon
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2016, 09:42:15 PM »
Hi Everyone,

My SI3 has been in storage and I haven't had a chance to smoke for some time now. I finally had a chance to make some jerky with the Jerky Cannon.

I seasoned the extra lean ground beef using 'Hi Mountain' seasoning as follows:
1 lb beef with Cajun seasoning
1 lb beef with Mandarin Teriyaki seasoning
2 lbs beef with Hickory seasoning

I used 1 and a half oz of Apple wood chips pre-soaked in water.  I then started the smoker at 180 to start the smoke and added my four shelves of jerky strips to the smoker for 30 mins, then dropped the temperature to 125 and added the jerky fan.

It took approximately 14 hours to complete, but well worth the wait.  Below are a few picks of the results for your enjoyment. Some of the pieces obviously didn't make it onto the tray or the pics. The jerky turned out great, however next time I will turn the temperature up to 140 when I add the jerky fan to cut down on the time.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:48:24 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2016, 10:23:32 PM »
Toronto T!  Good to see you again, buddy!  The jerky looks fantastic!  I use 140 all the way through, on jerky.  2 hours of smoke, then the rest with the fan (for cured jerky, of course).  The High Mountain seasoning is a cure, so you're OK there!

Hope you have the ol' SI3 tuned-up and ready for some more of your great Q!  Don't be a stranger! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2016, 12:23:25 AM »
Hey Tony,

Thanks for the warm welcome back. It's been awhile, but I'm glad to be back and smoking again. I have check the forum every now and then, but it really is trying when your smoker is in storage.

Nice to see the forum has grown with lots of new members. It really was just a matter of time that people took notice of the SI brand and quality of smoker these tanks really are.

By the way, I did get the idea of raising the temp to 140 from one of your posts.  You can always count on the good ol' SI forum for your information and go to needs when in doubt...
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2016, 10:06:06 PM »
Lots of new folks, and growing, Tony!  Keep that smoker out of storage, will ya'?  Not much time before old man winter returns to the great white north! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2016, 10:30:42 PM »
Hey Tony

I'm putting the smoker in overdrive.  I have 7 racks of ribs in the fridge that are going in the SI3. I also plan on making quite a bit of jerky as the kids can't get enough of it.

Before winter, I typically smoke a few butts for the freezer to hold me over for the winter season.

Next project, installing the PID controller I bought last year.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

snakyjake

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2016, 10:36:36 PM »
I started with 9lbs of meat and my yield of finished jerky was 5lbs.

Below is a picture of the finished product.

Just so I'm clear....the photo taken is the 5 lbs of jerky, from one batch/cook on the SI3 model of 4 shelves?
Jake from WA.
WSM, BGE, #3D

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2016, 12:00:40 AM »
I had 4 available shelves in my SI3 which allows me to smoke about 5 lbs at a time. However you can try stacking the LEM shelves on top of each other rather than placing them directly on each of the SI shelves which will allow you to get more in there at one time.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

snakyjake

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2016, 05:11:43 PM »
Was this photo the product of 5 pounds?
Or did you have multiple cooks to produce the amount in the photo?
Do you wish for more shelves (the shelf assembly)?

Jake from WA.
WSM, BGE, #3D

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2016, 06:30:16 PM »
Hey Jake.

The amount in the picture is the total result of two cooks.  Prep time takes very little effort when using ground meat with the cannon. It's a fairly easy process.

For jerky it would be nice to have more shelves and it's worth the investment if you are planning on making lots of jerky. For my other smoking needs, four shelves are more than enough.

One point that I didn't realize is that you can stop at any time by taking them off and storing in the fridge, then put them back in the next day. Also if you use the cannon with the tube attachment you can get more yield per shelf.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 06:36:02 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It