Author Topic: Beef Jerky Using A Jerky Cannon  (Read 16678 times)

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Beef Jerky Using A Jerky Cannon
« on: August 03, 2014, 04:22:02 PM »
It's Jerky Time!

I have been inspired by Brian from Michigan to make some Jerky with all his jerky and cured meat posts. Then I came across the jerky gun for use with ground meat and I had to try it.

So to my local Bass Pro Shop I went. I picked up the LEM Jerky Cannon, seasoning and cure, and jerky selves for my #3.  The other day I was at the grocery store and they were clearing out extra lean ground beef for $1.29/pound. Perfect timing, I jumped on the deal and picked up 20 lbs. 

Today I am making jerky using 9 lbs of beef weighed with my digital scale so that I can track the yield. I added the "High Mountain" seasoning and cure yesterday then wrapped and refrigerated for 24 hours.  Today I loaded the cannon for the first time and I am impressed with this gun, built to last and works great.  Then I laid out the jerky onto the shelves and into the smoker. 

I am using Brian's method of setting the temp to 250 with the door open with an empty smoker to get the smoke started. Once the smoke started, I dropped the temperature down to 120 and added the shelves to the smoker, closed the door and attached the jerky fan.

Pictures are below. I have 4 shelves in the smoker now with 4.5 lbs, therefore it will take two runs to complete the 9lbs of beef using 2oz of wood chips for each smoke.

In regards of the shelves I purchased made by LEM, they are the perfect size as they fit perfectly on the #3 shelves and at $12 a piece, they are a much cheaper alternative to purchasing the seafood shelves from SI. These shelves can also be used for seafood, cheese or smaller meats in the smoker and can be used in the oven for jerky as well.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:35:50 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Beef Jerky Using A Jerky Cannon
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 09:37:32 PM »
Awesome! I also have a jerky cannon and find it works great. One trick I do is spray the inside of the cannon and tip with non stick cooking spray. It helps keeps things sliding and not sticking. You may need to reapply depending on how many pounds your running.

I like the racks that is a good tip and can save some money. I have made many pounds of cannon jerky in the stove and you can do it on an oven rack or I'm sure an SI rack if your careful.

One last tip, COSTCO sells a Teriyaki marinade, sauce stuff in a clear jug with a blue and white label. There are Sesame seeds in it. We have blended it with ground meat with 2 teaspoons of pink salt per 25 pounds. Fantastic results. The seeds get blended in you don't notice them in the jerky.

I hope you had good results. Did you use chips or a block?
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 10:26:50 PM »
Thanks for the marinade advice. I will have to try it some time.

The jerky is still in the smoker, but it does look great. I am 8 hours in and some pieces are close to being finished while others could be another 3 hours before they are ready.

I used 2 oz of wood chips as I didn't want to over smoke them. Would you recommend that I up the temp a bit, or leave them as is.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:35:18 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:57:11 PM »
No I wouldn't go up any I am OK with 100 actually especially since you are not going for more smoke. You want to dry it not cook it. I would open it up, flip everything over turn it down and let it go till bed time. Shut it down and start over in the morning if it is not totally dry. Or kill the heat and let the fan run till morning might even be better.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:59:45 PM by Pork Belly »
- Sigmund Freud

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 11:14:02 PM »
Thanks Brian.

Since it is getting close to bedtime, I was actually thinking of pulling them all off so that I don't have to babysit them.  But rather, I can start the next batch to run overnight, then in the morning I can add the first batch back in the smoker to finish them off.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 11:49:59 PM »
Looks great. I am looking forward to hearing your results.

I have a Jerky Cannon and it works great. I haven't used it lately as we purchased a 10lb. stuffer a couple of years ago.

It is a great purchase for anyone that is looking at wetting their feet in the jerky/stick smoking.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 01:50:30 AM »
Hey Gregg, kudos to you as well because it was your input with the post below that got me hooked to the LEM jerky cannon. There is a pic that you posted of a tub of snack six with a beer bottle that got my attention.  When I saw it, I had to it.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1661.msg9463#msg9463
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:52:25 AM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 02:02:12 AM »
I read that and thought "Cool, I have a picture like that also"......

Yea that's my picture.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:50:15 PM by Pork Belly »
- Sigmund Freud

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 02:15:27 AM »
I removed the first batch of jerky to start the 2nd batch so that I can run it overnight while I sleep.  The first batch turned out great, although it is not yet fully complete.  I will add the first back to finish them some time in the morning
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 12:08:40 PM »
Yeah, I'll definitely give the credit to Brian for the Pepper Stix Pictures in my thread. My first attempt was without a Jerky Dryer and had less than stellar results. I will be getting a jerky dryer before I try this again. Until then, I'll have to use the old Propane beast.

I bet your house smells wonderful!

Nice job!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 01:52:47 PM »
How do you like the round ones? They were not a hit at my house, the flat disperser though.
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 03:11:19 PM »
Most at my house like the flat ones too. I think it is more of a texture thing verses flavor.

We rarely used the round tube attachment because of this.

I bought the add-on nozzle that does two flat tubes at a time:

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/jerky-cannon-double-jerky-nozzle/jerky-cannon-gun-accessories
Gregg - Fargo, ND

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 07:04:18 PM »
The jerky turned out unbelievably perfect. 

I am really impressed with the jerky fan and the LEM jerky cannon and jerky racks.  As I mentioned earlier, these racks are a great alternative for jerky, seafood, fish or smaller items and can be placed on top of the original SI #3 racks for a third of the price of the SI racks. Each shelf will hold 1 pound of meat when making jerky.

I prefer the flat jerky, however my wife prefers the sticks.  The kids don't have a preference.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:09:35 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 07:28:04 PM »
Curious, Tony - did the sticks hold together well, not using casing?  Seems like they'd break pretty easy, as opposed to the flat strips.  Just wondering, as I've never done the jerky cannon thing...always the solid stuff.  But I'm intrigued by it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 07:33:53 PM »
I realize that the question is for Tony but...
That is what I thought before I made some. The jerky Canon makes commercial quality meat. The grind is sticky from the cure then keeps its shape while loosing moisture.
- Sigmund Freud