Author Topic: Arrrrgg, Auber Blues  (Read 6210 times)

mtmedic

Arrrrgg, Auber Blues
« on: August 02, 2014, 01:13:52 AM »
Ok, so I'm getting into this and want to order an Auber. Guess what, they are out of stock. Any one have any idea when they will be back in? Has anyone ordered directly form the Auber website? Just want to smoke.
Ron, Paramedic, in Big Sky Country

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Arrrrgg, Auber Blues
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 02:55:21 AM »
A PID is not a necessary item for making great food. They do help you make great food, but you can make great food without one.

Make some meals enjoy your smoker, after a while the Auber will be back in stock. At that time you may still want one, but perhaps not.

Some folks enjoy being technical, some freak out over temperature swings. To those folks the Auber is the ultimate Q Tool. Personally I haven't started drinking that Kool-Aid, I'm too busy eating great Q.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

mtmedic

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 03:46:18 AM »
Man I thought I was the only night owl. Thank you and you are right, I don't need one, just a like to have.
Ron, Paramedic, in Big Sky Country

es1025

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 07:26:46 AM »
I ordered directly from auber for my unit. I got the 1800 watt unit. I believe the model number is wpd-1503cph. If you go on the web site you should be able to find the correct one. I have a #3.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:39:03 AM by es1025 »
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 12:01:46 PM »
I want to get an Auber as we'll, but the key word is 'want,' not 'need.' I am producing great Q without it and I personally am in no rush to get one.

Until SI gets them in stock or you order directly from Auber, you are not out of the water.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 12:15:08 PM »
I may want to get one in the future, but currently I want to learn all about the stock unit first.

I would definitely want to do the toggle switch bypass so I could switch back and forth.

I would assume there may be times when larger temperature swings could be beneficial to the Q.
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 12:22:25 PM »
I wonder if the jerky fan can be plugged into the smoke generator port then programed to come on. In theory I think a bypassed unit cranked to 350 with the jerky fan running for the final hour may create the elusive crispy chicken skin. If one of the Auber users could verify my theory before I gamble $200, I would appreciate it.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

GeeBee

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 06:27:42 PM »
Brian
Short answer. Yes. I did a post on this a while back. Probably in the jerky section. Or maybe gadgets, I really don't remember. You need a special length of electrical cord. That too is specified in my post. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll post the info on the cord again.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 06:30:29 PM »
I wonder if the jerky fan can be plugged into the smoke generator port then programed to come on. In theory I think a bypassed unit cranked to 350 with the jerky fan running for the final hour may create the elusive crispy chicken skin. If one of the Auber users could verify my theory before I gamble $200, I would appreciate it.

Yest, it definitely can!  Great idea for chicken skin!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 06:36:44 PM »
Ok, so I'm getting into this and want to order an Auber. Guess what, they are out of stock. Any one have any idea when they will be back in? Has anyone ordered directly form the Auber website? Just want to smoke.

The units should be in stock, at SI, soon.  Even Auber was back-ordered!  Very popular item, it seems!  Like others have said, you don't need an Auber to produce stellar Q.  With quite a bit of experience with both, though, I have to say that the bypassed SI unit + Auber is absolutely incredible.  I like the consistent/accurate temps, plus the ability to automate the 6 programmable steps.  Very flexible, and very cool.  It's kind of like folks with a rotary dial home phone that say "I don't need one of those new-fangled cell phones - my phone works just fine!"  While true, that the end result is the same (a phone conversation), I think we all can appreciate what the advance in technology has done for us (from a convenience standpoint). 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

jpittssr

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 07:52:07 PM »
I may want to get one in the future, but currently I want to learn all about the stock unit first.

I would definitely want to do the toggle switch bypass so I could switch back and forth.

I would assume there may be times when larger temperature swings could be beneficial to the Q.

If you decide you want temperature swings that's where the Auber shines. Just program the temp you want to swing to and how long to stay on that temp then the next temp and length.

Or you could say go to 275 when it hits 275 cool down to 250 when it hits 250, go back to 260.
About anything you can think of the PID can do it.

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 09:33:11 PM »

You can give it a try but I don't think the jerky fan was intended to be used at those temperatures.
~Martin

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 09:43:07 PM »

You can give it a try but I don't think the jerky fan was intended to be used at those temperatures.

The fan inside the James dryer is a computer case fan.  I'm not sure it it can take 350, but it'd be worth a shot.  It wouldn't be on that long, and if it doesn't work, replacement of the fan element, only, would be cheap.  I'd probably hold to 280-300 to try it, just to be cautious.
Tony from NW Arkansas