Author Topic: 1st butt- foil question  (Read 6799 times)

noahpop

1st butt- foil question
« on: July 27, 2014, 06:34:44 PM »
For my first effort, I smoked 2 chickens- everything went great- but the cleanup was more than I imagined. Quite a bit of grease/mess at the bottom. Used foil, poked hole and drip pan- still messy.

Question: could a butt or chicken be smoked in a foil pan to avoid the mess? Thought it might catch the juices and help with cleanup.

Good idea? Bad?
Lee

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 1st butt- foil question
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 06:58:10 PM »
Bad idea.  They don't cook right at all like that.  The meat needs to be open to the smoke and heat on all sides.  I know the drippings are a mess, but the foil on the bottom is the best we can do.  Lots easier than cleaning a charcoal smoker! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

noahpop

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 08:01:15 PM »
ok thanks - i'll do a more liberal foil job next time!
Lee

vetkilr

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 09:34:46 PM »
You could put the foil pan one rack or two down to catch drippings. That's what I do for Boston butts and works great.

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 09:35:18 PM »
I use the extra long heavy duty foil.  1 sheet covers the entire bottom of my #2.  I kind of fold the edges up which makes kinda like a pan on the bottom, and then I poke a hole. I just roll it up and pull it out when it's cooled and makes cleanup pretty easy.
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

noahpop

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 10:01:43 PM »
regarding the pan below - others have said it interferes with cooking process?
Lee

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 07:27:53 PM »
regarding the pan below - others have said it interferes with cooking process?

I have to agree with that, Lee.  Temperature issues have been well-documented here, and on other forums, that have been traced back to a large pan between the meat and the smoke box.  I'm glad vetkilr doesn't see any problems; must be using a fairly small pan.  The problem is that it "disrupts" the heat flow around the pan, and channels hotter air up the back, over the temperature sensor.  This makes it "think" the box temp is higher, and shuts the element off sooner than it should.  In most cases that I've been aware of, removing the drip pan solved the problem. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 08:31:19 PM »
I have found that I don't want or need to clean my #3 as often I I did when I first bought it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

mnsmoker

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 07:36:04 AM »
I use the 18 inch wide heavy duty foil and leave it about an inch wider on all sides, cleanup takes a couple minutes tops, every 10 -12 smokes I do a more complete cleanup, wiping the bottom with paper towel and soaking the grates wiping off the outside etc. still only takes a few minutes.
Jim from Minnesota

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »
I use the 18 inch wide heavy duty foil and leave it about an inch wider on all sides, cleanup takes a couple minutes tops, every 10 -12 smokes I do a more complete cleanup, wiping the bottom with paper towel and soaking the grates wiping off the outside etc. still only takes a few minutes.

Hey Jim, I do the same clean up as yourself.  The selves and side racks go into the dishwasher after about 5-8 smokes or when needed and the smoker box will get the odd rinsing if there are any drippings that may get through the foil. 

Lastly, sometimes the bottom of the smoker has some grease on it as it does get through the foil every now and then, therefore when I wipe the bottom, I will sometime use a bit of dish soap on a wet paper towel to wipe only the bottom of the smoker, then a quick rinse with the garden hose. I'll put the drip pan under the smoker to collect the water as I rinse. It may take a few rinses, but it does a great job. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:45:44 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 08:00:58 PM »
I'm pretty much the same way as Jim and Toronto T, but my shelves get washed every smoke - can't bear putting fresh meat on gunky shelves!
Tony from NW Arkansas

mnsmoker

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 08:58:21 PM »
I do a quick wipe down on the grates with a wet cloth after every smoke since I use 1 or 2 grates most of the time it only takes a minute and gets them pretty clean, then I'll soak em in the laundry tub after a bunch of smokes to really clean em up to almost new....no gunky grates for this guy either!! ;)
Jim from Minnesota

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 11:49:10 PM »
I'm pretty much the same way as Jim and Toronto T, but my shelves get washed every smoke - can't bear putting fresh meat on gunky shelves!

The shelves always get removed and a full cleaning in the kitchen sick with soap after every smoke.  When I wash the side rails every 5 - 8 smokes in the dishwasher, I throw the shelves in for good measure.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It