Author Topic: Corn on the cob  (Read 9159 times)

GeeBee

Corn on the cob
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:46:33 AM »
Here in Ohio, we love corn on the cob as a side dish for about any meal. I've searched for years for a good cooking method. Most involve boiling water, etc. My wife saw a local chef on a local TV show with a method that was stunning (to us anyhow). I've tested it extensively and decided to post it here so you all can try it. It really works and is pretty amazing, if you ask me.
You start with fresh corn, still in the husk, straight out of the field (I wish) or the grocery store. Then, with a sharp knife, cut off the stem end of the ear. The key here is, make sure you cut enough off. You must see kernels of corn showing after you've made the cut. I still sometimes cut them a little short, which makes extraction a little difficult. Then you microwave the ears of corn. We do 2 ears at a time for 5 minutes, because it's just me and the DW. You could probably do multiple ears at a time, but may have to lengthen the cook time a little. After the microwave, use a towel or a hot pad, be careful, the ears are very hot, holding the silk end in the towel, you squeeze out the ear of corn. It's hard to describe in words, but you're pushing the ear of corn out of the husk. Net result, a perfectly cooked ear of corn with NO SILK on it. Try it, you'll like it.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Re: Corn on the cob
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 06:44:11 PM »
Who would have guessed to use this method. So quick and easy.  Thanks for the post.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

bigbassnutt

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 08:07:08 PM »
I have never heard of doing it this way, looks quick and easy, gonna have to try it.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 08:58:19 PM »
Cool!  Gotta try this.  I HATE getting the silk off! >:(
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

GeeBee

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:04:13 AM »
The silk coming off is the most amazing part. I used to stand next to the little old ladies with too much perfume, at the grocery store, picking off silk. No more. I grab the number of ears I want and I'm gone.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio

mnsmoker

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 08:18:28 AM »
Going to try this method have microwaved before but never with the husk on and the silk is always a pain, plan on eating alot of fresh coc as we have 80 acres sweet corn 75 feet from the front door!!
Jim from Minnesota

GeeBee

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 09:01:16 AM »
Jim, I'm envious. My DW could eat corn on the cob every meal. I too was skeptical about this method until I tried it. Just a note, it took me a couple tries to get it right. The biggest problem I had was how much to cut off the end. If you don't cut enough off, the ears will be hard to get out of the husk.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 09:44:16 PM »
I have to try this, but have had a hard time finding corn that isn't trimmed on the tassle end!  Arghh!  Right after you posted this, and I read it, I was on YouTube, looking for something totally unrelated...what pops up, in the "recommended for you" section?  Your corn shucking method!!  I swear, "they" know what we're looking at all the time!  Kinda freaked me out, to be honest!  I've never searched for anything like this!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

GeeBee

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 08:28:16 AM »
That is scary. Maybe NSA is watching me and I don't know it. ;) Enemy Of The State is one of my all time favorite movies. ;D
Gary in Hebron, Ohio

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 08:05:24 PM »
I was in the Intel biz for many years in the Air Force, but that even spooked me a bit!  It was way too "coincidental!"
Tony from NW Arkansas

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 07:34:05 AM »
I wonder if you could inject it with a butter, salt and pepper mixture before cooking.

Popping it out of the husk already buttered and seasoned would be quite the party trick.
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

GeeBee

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 08:29:54 AM »
I doubt that would be possible. I'm no scientist, but I think the way this works is the friction of the husk grabs the silk and pulls it off as you squeeze the ear of corn out. Just guessing.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 07:52:41 PM »
I tried the nuke in the husk method tonight!  Variation:  Don't cut the end off before nuking!  I threw 3 good-size ears in the microwave without cutting either end.  12 minutes (4 min each), pulled them out and cut the stalk end off.  Out they came, just as advertised!  I think we found a total of 2 silks, which is better than shucking before cooking!  Pretty cool technique, and cooking in the husks adds a little flavor to the corn.  I'm a believer!
Tony from NW Arkansas

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 10:18:16 AM »
I tried it last night with and without cutting prior to nuking and don't see the benefit of cutting after nuking.

Tony, what's the purpose behind waiting to cut the end off?

BTW, the corn turned out awesome! What a great trick.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

GeeBee

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 12:01:24 PM »
My wife said she saw another post by someone on Facebook that cut the end off after nuking. I don't see an advantage, other than maybe easier to cut? I do see myself getting burnt trying that method. Those puppies are hot when they come out of the microwave.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio