Author Topic: #2 arrived today  (Read 3934 times)

Jackie

#2 arrived today
« on: June 18, 2014, 08:33:36 PM »
My #2 arrived today and it is in the back yard seasoning now. 

When cooking with the maverick where should I position the probe that monitors the heat inside the smoker?

If the food is on the highest rack for smoking should the probe be clipped to the top shelf as well?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Jackie from South Carolina
Gamecocks are Smoking

Jackie

Re: #2 arrived today
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 08:56:43 PM »
Sorry guys.  I posted this in the wrong spot.
Gamecocks are Smoking

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 08:56:58 PM »
Great news, Jackie!  You're so close to great Q, I bet you can smell it!!  lol.

First - don't worry about temps during seasoning; they're all over the place, and pointless with an empty smoker. 

Second - when cooking, try to place your probe on the same level as the meat, but make sure it's at least a couple of inches away.  Don't put the box temp probe right up against a big 'ol hunk of cold meat, or it will think your box temp is too cold.  Keep it near the meat, but away from the "thermal effect zone (TEZ)".  TEZ sounds really cool, huh?  I just made that up - it's not really a term. :o   All kidding aside - just put it on the same level, but not too close. 

What's on the menu for the first smoke?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 08:57:52 PM »
Sorry guys.  I posted this in the wrong spot.

Not a problem!  It's moved!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Jackie

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 10:35:39 PM »
I plan on smoking baby backs from Sam's Club.

I have a few more questions.  Should I put all three slabs on the top shelf or put one slab on the second shelf?

Do you place ribs bone side up or down?

I plan to cook for 5 1/2 hours @ 235 degrees.  After that I will add some apple juice and wrap in foil. How long should they rest?

After the rest I plan to sauce half of them and put under broiler. Would 1-2 minutes be enough at 500 degrees?

I know these are picky questions but I want my first smoke to work well.
Gamecocks are Smoking

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 10:55:23 PM »
Jackie, baby backs are a great first smoke!  3 racks won't fit on one shelf in the #2.  I usually always do 3 racks at a time, and I cut them in 1/2 racks, placing them on 3 shelves.  I put the thick ends on the lowest shelf, and the thinnest on the top.  You can guess what goes on the middle shelf. ;)   

When you unwrap your ribs from Sam's, remove the silver skin on the bone side (the tough membrane).  A butter knife, starting in the middle of the rack, works great.  Make a pocket and then lift up on the skin like a handle - the skin will pull right off to each end.  This takes a little practice, but it's important.  Halve the racks so you have 6 half racks.

Then, coat the ribs with yellow mustard and your rub of choice.  Wrap the ribs in plastic, and let them get happy in the fridge overnight.

Place a pan (I use disposable aluminum "mini loaf" pans) of apple juice on the bottom of the smoker, next to the smoke box.  Of course, this is after you foil the bottom and the top of the smoke box - don't forget to poke a hole in the foil for the drain/air hole in the bottom! 

Put the ribs in, and dial up to 235.  Now, you want as little "human intervention" as possible!  Don't peek until at least 5 hours.  At that point, open the door and check out your ribs.  I use a wooden toothpick to test for doneness.  Stick it in the meat, next to the bone.  If it's tender, you're getting there.  Then, pull sideways to see if the meat will easily separate from the bone.  If it doesn't, or the toothpick breaks, close the door and give it another 20 minutes and test again.  The timing is not exact on ribs - it's a "feel" thing.  When they're nice and tender, and pulling away from the bone, they're done!

At 235, 3 racks will take me 5- 5 3/4 hours.  You just have to check them.  When they're done, you really don't have to "rest" ribs, but they slice easier if you let them sit on the cutting board for 10-15 minutes.  No need to foil with apple juice; they'll be plenty tender and moist!

Welcome to the "Lazy Q, No Peeky" method of ribs!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 09:17:18 AM »
Everything Tony said - ditto!    The one question he may have missed--put the ribs bone side down in the smoker.   Good luck, and enjoy!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 08:12:48 PM »
Everything Tony said - ditto!    The one question he may have missed--put the ribs bone side down in the smoker.   Good luck, and enjoy!  Cheers

Hehe.  Meant to mention that, but got caught-up in the moment!  Thanks for the backup Steve! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

mnsmoker

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 08:19:44 PM »
 If you can some pictures would be great as well!!!
Jim from Minnesota