Author Topic: Auber fixed probe compared to corded one  (Read 9542 times)

mnsmoker

Re: Auber fixed probe compared to corded one
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 11:49:17 AM »
I love showing people how stable the auber keeps the temp, 1 or 2 degrees from the set point, makes smoking salmon just plain awesome and the finished product is the best I've ever done. The addition of the fixed probe brought it up to a completly new level, I rarely use my maverick any more. Last weekend I did ribs and a buddy of mine must have stared at the auber for hours, had to keep telling him it won't move trust me LOL NOW he's sold and looking to get the #2. Anybody out that does not have the auber should definetly get one you'll be amazed makes a great smoker almost perfect.
Jim from Minnesota

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 01:54:15 PM »
If your friend buys a smoker make sure he tells Steve you referred him. Steve hooked by buddy up with some Swag when I told SI about the reference.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

mnsmoker

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 08:33:27 PM »
All of the success I've had with my SI goes right back to this forum and the awesome group, so happy I stumbled on this site, now I'm trying to turn everyone I know on to SI and this forum, special thanks has to go to Tony for all the time he puts in just answering questions!!!!
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 08:38:03 PM »
Thanks, Jim!  It's no trouble at all when it's this much fun! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Big Red Home Smoker

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 01:03:11 PM »
Question - I have the model 3 and have ordered the Auber for it.  Don't have yet as it is back ordered.  I see that everyone loves to have the fixed probe and I read about upgrading to the fixed probe.

Where would I order this from?  I don't see it as an option on the SI web site.

Thanks!
Terry from Omaha
Model #3

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 01:43:07 PM »
You can get it directly from Auber.

However, you may want to call Steve. I think I read somewhere here that he was starting to get some fixed probes in to start selling on the SI site. Since your's is backordered, I would guess that he could swap the probe for the fixed probe for you.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Big Red Home Smoker

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 02:52:08 PM »
Auber just arrived so I'll go to the Auber site and order the fixed probe.  Here is what might be considered a dumb question.......Nobody mounts the Auber directly to the smoker correct?  I'm assuming that each time I use the smoker, I'd pull out the3 Auber, hook it up and place it on top of the smoker.
Terry from Omaha
Model #3

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 04:11:48 PM »
I was thinking about getting one at some point, but am concerned that it isn't weather proof.

Has anyone built any sort of box for it to keep it from getting wet? 
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

mnsmoker

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2014, 06:36:33 PM »
That's pretty much the way I do it, set the smoker up for cooking then get the Auber out and plug it in, takes just a minute to plug it in and if you have the fixed probe thats already done to, no wires hanging out the top. I don't set mine on top but next to it on the left side, no cords running up the back of the smoker, as far as getting it wet you wouldn't want that it is basically a computer, I keep my smoker on the deck under the over hang on the house so I can still use it if it's not raining to hard. A box of some sort might not be a bad idea for the Auber if you have any concerns about a shower popping up if you use a maverick you could still get temp readings...something to think about.
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 08:38:15 PM »
Jim's right, the Auber is not weatherproof.  It is a 110v electronic computer, so treat accordingly.  It does have a sturdy case, but I wouldn't trust it in the snow or rain without an enclosure.  I use mine exclusively under a covered porch, so that's my weatherproofing!  Fantastic tool, but you wouldn't want to set it out in a rain storm!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Big Red Home Smoker

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2014, 09:39:36 AM »
Great info everyone.  Can someone with knowledge let me know about adding a power cord from the Auber to the electrical source?  As you know the SI comes with a 12 foot cord and it must be designed for such a long cord.  Love that so I can maneuver the smoker where I want it on my deck. 

Now the question...... if I use the Auber,  it has a very short cord and this would dictate keeping the smoker close to an electrical source.  Can I add an additional 12 foot cord from the Auber to the electrical source?  If you think about it, that would mean 24 feet of cords between what was included with the SI and adding an additional 12' extension from the Auber  to the electrical source.  I'm concerned that too much cord would have an impact on power to the unit and the characteristics or function of the smoker or Auber.

Thanks for you input.......will wait on this before my auto tune of the Auber/SI.
Terry from Omaha
Model #3

mnsmoker

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 10:10:09 AM »
The smoker plugs into the back of the Auber so I cut the smoker cord to about 2 ft. now I dont have all that extra cord to bundle up, I use a good quality 15 ft. 14/3 cord from the Auber to the outlet, no need to go to a 12/3 cord unless your going beyond 50 ft.
Jim from Minnesota

Big Red Home Smoker

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2014, 10:40:41 AM »
Thanks Jim - that helps a lot.  I'll cut the original cord down and go get something like you did from the Auber to the outlet. 
Terry from Omaha
Model #3