Author Topic: PID Controller makeup  (Read 2254 times)

Big Fish

PID Controller makeup
« on: June 03, 2014, 10:27:35 PM »
So let me understand this, a PID is a temperature controller, so one could regulate temps of the smoker and whatever you're smoking? It has a temperature sensor(s) (probe), which are connected to the inputs and has an output(s) that are related to the input(s) that is connected to a control element. Is there a relay (or 2 or 3) somewhere in the mix to trip the operation to make the output trip to control the temperature? Is this how this works? My brain is smokin. I might be able to make something that could do this and waterproof it.

Big Fish

Re: PID Controller makeup
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 10:43:45 PM »
Sorry, if you hadn't noticed, I think out-loud a lot.  :o

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: PID Controller makeup
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 09:41:51 PM »
Ernie, here's the Auber manual for the 1503.  Should tell you what you want to know.  You can also go on Auber's website for tons of info.  www.auberins.com

While you can certainly reinvent the wheel, and maybe save a few bucks, I can't recommend the folks at Auber enough.  If you go to their website, you'll see they know their stuff - very well!  They have perfected the technology for more than just electric smokers.  These are scientific instruments, with very exact performance tolerances, that they have adapted to a specific need. 

If I had it to do over again, I'd still go with Auber.  It's a turn-key solution that is well-proven.  Sometimes it's best to just go with an off-the-shelf solution because it a) saves time, and b) WORKS!  I like the "works" part best!  Simple to use, highly-accurate, and reliable from a solid company.  What more could a Q chef want??  Just cover it in the rain, and you'll be fine.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!