Author Topic: An Alternative Cart  (Read 31573 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: An Alternative Cart
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
Thanks Mike - I was wondering if the pic was deceiving.  Looks like a long way back!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DHurd

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2014, 11:52:21 AM »
I don't find the shelf/countertop portion of the cart too deep at all - in fact, I designed it that way.  To have some work space in front of the open cooker so I could set a tray of product there and not have to look around for a place to set something.

I've since made a small mod to it.  I've grown tired of measuring the foil time and again to line the bottom of the cooker, so I've drawn a set of index lines the size necessary.  All I have to do is hold up the foil to the marks, tear off a length and simply fold to the correct size.  No more referring to the book for the dimensions.  See photo, attached.
Dan Hurd
Model 3, w/PID (Now properly bypassed!)
Fredericksburg, Virginia

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 02:00:53 PM »
Anyone worry the unit will be top heavy and flip over, especially with a load of meat in it?
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

jpittssr

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2014, 10:58:01 AM »
It's not a cart but here is my fix.
I don't need a roll around because my SI2 is in my outdoor cook shack. All I need is to get it to a good height for cooking. I decided a standard height of 30 inches would work just fine. With that and the width & depth measurements I headed to the thrift stores. Found a computer desk with a shelf on top of the desk that fit the bill nicely. I had to saw off the left side of the top shelf but for a total of $20.00 I am satisfied.

dsskid

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2014, 09:17:25 AM »
Another alternative I found on-line....
photos courtesy of bigbirdk on another forum

$59.99 at Sam's Club
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/utility-cart/prod9070084.ip?sprodId=prod9070084
John, from Long Island, NY

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2014, 08:03:41 PM »
I've seen that cart at Sam's, John, and thought it would be a good one!  I thought you could cover the top shelf with a sheet of plastic, to prevent drips and spills.  It's a solid cart, though.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

dsskid

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2014, 07:29:41 AM »
Unfortunately, the closest Sam's to me is 50+ miles away.  An out of state friend has a membership, but with shipping, the chrome version came to about the same as the zinc one through Amazon, so I ordered it through Amazon.  I was told that it comes with the commercial utility cart liners that you spoke of, so that was a plus.

It has room enough in front to act as a shelf, and three shelves/baskets underneath to store my wood, and accessories.

I'll use the wheels through the mesh technique shown in the pictue to secure the #1 to the cart, and so I don't have to worry about the wheels wandering off.

All in all, seems to offer good value for the $$. 

A big thank you to bigbirdk whose pictures swayed me.
John, from Long Island, NY

Elliottbte

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2015, 07:43:50 AM »
After reading this thread, I ordered the Seville Classics cart for my new #1 from the manufacturer during a Christmas sale ...10% off and free shipping.  It works perfect as other have said.  I went ahead and attached without the wheels on the # 1 to give a bit more space. Remember to switch the top shelf position with the second shelf or you get to assemble twice like I did.
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

Mike

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 08:36:30 AM »
I use a sams club cart which has 3 shelves and mats
The auber sits on the second shelf elevated and covered for air flow, the container has holes drilled in the side. Fairly in-expensive and sturdy

Mike
Mike Z. Lincoln University, PA
#2 and Weber Char.

Barrel99

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 11:28:11 AM »
I don't know. You guys scare me putting that heavy unit on top tables with wheels and that looks to be very top heavy. Accidentally hit something when moving it and I would be afraid it would tip.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

mizzoufan

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
I did leave the wheels off, but used the Harbor Freight cart (without plywood topper).  I don't have it bolted down yet because I wanted to be sure if I wanted it on the swivel wheel end or the fixed wheel end.  There's a 2" lip going into my storage closet (apartment living) and I haven't had any instances where it felt remotely close to tipping or sliding off.  I could see concern with it sliding off if it weren't bolted on when going over grass or some other rough terrain, but it's pretty stable.
Steven from KCMO

tempest

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2015, 11:08:41 AM »
John/Brad/Mike.  I'm thinking about making the leap into smoking soon with a purchase of the SI 1 in a couple of weeks.  I like the idea of the Seville Classic Cart.  Now that you've had a chance to try it out, how do you like it?

Thanks for any input.
Dave
Dave
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Elliottbte

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2015, 06:52:46 PM »
John/Brad/Mike.  I'm thinking about making the leap into smoking soon with a purchase of the SI 1 in a couple of weeks.  I like the idea of the Seville Classic Cart.  Now that you've had a chance to try it out, how do you like it?

Thanks for any input.
Dave

Dave, sorry for the very late reply .... LOVE the Seville cart.  So easy to roll in and out of garage and puts the SI at a perfect height .
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2015, 11:11:25 PM »
Hey Dave,I also am going to get the Seville cart for my #1, when I purchased the #3 from a former forum person, it included the cart from smokin-it and also an auber. Was a very good deal I just could not pass up.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

grogorat

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2015, 01:01:17 PM »
Great alternative idea for a cart but I have a few questions:
1. Can a #2 fit on that cart?
2. Can the top shelf be adjusted lower to reduce the overall height?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I forgot to add that my inquiry was for John from Long Island with the Seville Classic idea.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 01:03:36 PM by grogorat »
Gary from Houston
Smokin-It #2