Author Topic: An Alternative Cart  (Read 31578 times)

DHurd

An Alternative Cart
« on: May 25, 2014, 10:53:39 AM »
Happy?  I'm delirious!

I have plans to mount the Mod 3 onto a cart that have been on hold while this business has been up in the air.  With this issue resolved, I can proceed with the project. 

If it turns out, I believe I'll have a nice alternative roll around cart option to offer the forum.  The parts are from Harbor Freight and Home Depot, so no bank-breakers.  A little fiddling and a little assembly and bang!  Nice looking, utilitarian, reasonably priced, nearly instant cart. 

Fingers crossed.

Dan

Dan Hurd
Model 3, w/PID (Now properly bypassed!)
Fredericksburg, Virginia

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: An Alternative Cart
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:38:40 AM »
I have been toying around with some ideas for building my own cart as I am not willing to pay the (what I think is way too high for what you get) amount of money for the Smokin-It cart.

I have been toying around with a wood cart that would have an enclosed space with shelves to store my unused racks as well as foil rolls etc.

I am curious as to what you are working on though.

I am surprised that there aren't more pics of people making homemade carts on this forum.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DHurd

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 08:24:05 AM »
Gregg,

While I'm waiting on the finish to dry I can give you a rundown on what I've done for a cart over the Smokin-It version.

I bought a 2' x 3' roll-around cart from Harbor Freight for $59.00.  I also bought a couple of finish ready planks from Lowe's for $16.00 each.  Some spacer blocks, hardware and varnish I had in my shop and bang!  Smoker Cart.

I went a little overboard in some areas, but I think you can put a nice looking and highly functional cart together for right near $100.00 that will serve your smoking needs for years to come.

I hope to have this project complete by the end of the week, depending on how the two coats of varnish dry.  It's been pretty humid lately.  But it'll get there.  Once I get it done, I'll post the pictures.

Dan
Dan Hurd
Fredericksburg, Virginia

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 09:59:15 AM »
I am looking forward to seeing what you have come up with.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DHurd

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 12:51:04 PM »
Here are the pictures of my new cart.  I'm really pleased with how it turned out.  A lot of the parts came from stuff I had lying around my shop, but I believe that even if I bought it all new I'm fairly confident that I could keep the cost under $200.  As it is, I'm in for around $150 and I went overboard with sanding and finishing and such.  No more working on my hands and knees!

I wasn't sure where to post these, so let me know and I'll move or re-post them as necessary.

Let me have your feedback, I'm curious to hear what you think of it.

Dan
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 12:56:48 PM by DHurd »
Dan Hurd
Fredericksburg, Virginia

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 02:12:14 PM »
That looks great! It has definitely given me some ideas on how I want to make mine.
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DHurd

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 04:11:26 PM »
I sure like it... so far anyway.  No frills, just function.  I haven't used it in a smoke yet, that'll come very soon and then I can report on how well it works to support the cooking function.

The Auber will sit on top, as before.  The top of the unit sits about 5 inches below eye level, so the Auber will be easily readable and accessible from there.

Dan
Dan Hurd
Fredericksburg, Virginia

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 10:40:08 PM »
Looking good, Dan!  Being from Arkansas, I'm a fan of "redneck engineering!"  And believe me, that's NOT a bad thing! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 11:23:24 PM »
I like the idea of incorporating storage for you beer. Classic design choice.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DHurd

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 09:47:25 AM »
I'm glad somebody noticed.  I'd also like to point out that the lower tray will accommodate full cases as well - even the tallest long necks.  But for some reason they don't stay on the cart very long...    ;D

Dan
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:50:05 AM by DHurd »
Dan Hurd
Fredericksburg, Virginia

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 09:54:35 AM »
Actually, it looks like there would be room for a cooler or even a small dorm fridge.  :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 10:01:22 AM »
An integrated beer cooler makes just about anything better! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Big Fish

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 02:24:20 PM »
My 2 cents, maybe 3.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161133199542?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Email him for a better price. Can be fitted with wheels and free shipping.

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 06:29:22 PM »
I viewed the cart on ebay, then sudden had a moment! That would work out great to incorporate into an outdoor kitchen, we'll call it "the smoker station."
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

djblock

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 06:45:34 PM »
Bought this cart from Sears about a month ago.  Works great with my #1 smoker.