Author Topic: Smoked Chicken, pan or no pan?  (Read 3098 times)

Chipper

• "He dug his grave one forkfull at a time!"
Smoked Chicken, pan or no pan?
« on: June 01, 2014, 01:09:32 PM »
Planning on smoking a 5# bird tomorrow, my first.  I was hoping to set the bird, brined and rubbed, into a shallow aluminum disposable pan together with potatoes and other veggies so they would cook in the juices.   My question is; will this arrangement affect the smoke of the chicken, act as a shield.  Or, should the chicken be placed, nude and alone, on the racks with the veggies separate?  Also, is there any chance the veggies will dry out after four hours?  Any recommendations?    Thanks  Chipper

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Smoked Chicken, pan or no pan?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 01:23:08 PM »
Naked on the rack has always worked best for me with poultry, or anything else for that matter.  The pan acts as a heat shield, and will prevent the skin from browning much.  I'd do the veggies another way, if it were me.  For 360-cooking, you want the heat to flow around all sides of the meat.  It has a hard time doing that with a pan below.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Chipper

• "He dug his grave one forkfull at a time!"
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 01:30:01 PM »
I knew you'd be there for me Tony.  But........ if I put my veggies on the top rack and the bird on the bottom rack I still win, right?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 01:41:31 PM »
Yes, that is what I would do.  Today, for example, I have chicken breasts on the lower grate of the smoker, and a AL pan of mac and cheese on the top rack!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 01:47:34 PM »
You win, Chipper!  Great plan!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 05:35:54 PM »
Root vegetables would probably benefit under the chicken being basted in the rendered chicken fat.  Rendered fat makes everything better!
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill