Author Topic: Great way to save money making Jerky and easier cleanup  (Read 4260 times)

foodeefish

Great way to save money making Jerky and easier cleanup
« on: September 22, 2014, 12:26:18 PM »
Well I just ordered my Model #3 with the Jerky Dryer.  I wanted to trade the 5 tray shelf holders for the new 9 shelf to make more Jerky, but seeing it is an upgrade this cannot be done. This would mean I would have to buy the 9 shelf upgrade as well as 5 more trays which would mean a few more bucks I don't have right now and also more trays to clean.

Just a tip for anyone trying to make a ton of jerky and not having the money for the screens and upgraded shelving.- Use Paper Clips. Hang the Jerky Vertically with paper clips.

What I have always done with great success is I buy a box of paper clips and I straighten them out so there is a loop in both ends- basically unfold the paperclip. I then take one of the longest pieces of meat I have and hook  it to one end. and adjust the other end without the meat so it just barely touches the next tray. I then adjust all the paperclips to this length, hook each piece of meat on one end and hang them on the trays vertically.

You'll be amazed how much Jerky you can load in a smoker doing it this way and it's actually easier to clean the trays.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Great way to save money making Jerky and easier cleanup
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 08:03:58 PM »
Great idea!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 07:53:50 PM »
That was my standard method for drying strips in the oven, although I used heavy toothpicks not paperclips.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 08:00:51 PM »
I've seen the long bamboo skewers used (for shish kabob), for whole rows of meat hanging through the rungs in the shelf, too.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!