Author Topic: Trying to decide between Smokin-It or Smokin Tex  (Read 23201 times)

BMann

Trying to decide between Smokin-It or Smokin Tex
« on: April 24, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »
I am new to this forum, and pretty new to the smoking world.

I am wanting an electric smoker.

I have been researching and reading reviews on the Smokin-It Model #3 and the Smokin Tex 1400. After reading reviews, I am almost decided on the 1400. I saw this forum and decided that I would get on here and ask for expert advice! I figured that most on this forum were Smokin-It fans and might be able to alter my decision?

Can someone give me some advice? Some pro's and Con's of both units?

One aspect of the electric smokers that I do like is the set it and forget it. Is this the case with the Smokin-It model #3?

I have read that the 1400 is very well insulated, and does great in windy and cold conditions.
Thank you very much

rickne

Re: Trying to decide between Smokin-It or Smokin Tex
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 07:13:21 PM »
Well, I was between those two, as well.  I thought the SI #3 was a better value.  I liked the dual latch door and longer cord. I thought the customer service reviews were better with he SI too.  Ironically I ended up with an auber and replacing the long cord with a short cold weather cord.

I don't regret my decision to go with the #3.

I think the units are pretty similar.  The SI is very very well insulated.  I'm sure the 1400 is too.

I was shipping either unit I decided to buy and if I recall correctly the SI was a bit cheaper.  Assuming all things equal, I think the dual latch door and customer service swings toward SI.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 07:19:07 PM »
Hi Bmann!  Welcome to the forum!

You are comparing the ST 1400 to the SI Model 3:  A little bit "apples and oranges."  I say this because of the size and capacity.  The 1400 is much more comparable in size to the Model 2 (1400 has 14.5" x 14.5" shelves, and the Model 2 has 15" x 15" shelves.  The Model 3 shelves are 15" x 20":  that means you can easily fit a full packer-cut brisket in there; can't do that in a 1400.

Heating elements:  The 1400 has a 700w element, same as the Model 2.  The Model 3 is 1200 watts - big difference.

All stainless steel construction in both brands, same amount of insulation.  Many of us have smoked in sub-zero temps with no problems.  Check out some of the cold weather use posts, there are lots of them.  Also, the inside and smoke boxes are virtually identical between the 2 brands.

Door latches:  These types of smokers use a compression-fit door (no gasket).  The latch(es) actually compress the door against the frame to seal it.  The 1400 has one latch (insufficient, in my opinion, for that size door).  One is fine on the Model 1, but not the Model 2 or 3; that's why there are 2 latches on the Model 2 and 3.  Seals the door much better.

Wheels:  The 1400 has small wheels, whereas all the Smokin-It models have larger, heavy-duty castors, 2 locking.  May seem like a small thing, but makes a big difference when moving the smoker. 

"Set and forget:"  Yes!  The SI units are absolutely set and forget!  If you spend much time reading through the boards here, you will see that reinforced many, many times!  They work exactly the same as the ST models!

Here's my opinion on what makes this such an easy decision:

Price:  The 1400 is showing $595 on the ST website.  You can get a Model 2 for $399.  Almost $200 cheaper for the same size smoker.  If you need the capacity, the Model 3 is still $100 cheaper, and a whole lot bigger!  No brainer.

Warranty:  ST has 2 years, SI has a 3 year warranty.

Customer Service:  You absolutely will not find better customer service than with Smokin-It!  When you call "customer support," you get a guy named Steve, who just happens to be the owner of the company!  That doesn't happen very often!  I can also personally endorse the service you will receive, and tell you that you won't find a finer group of people to deal with.  Steve will bend over backwards to keep a customer happy.

Bottom line?  I did the same research when I bought my Model 1 a year ago, and am so glad I made the decision I did.  The reason you are finding many more reviews for the STs is they've been around longer.  SI is hands-down more value for the dollar, and I believe has several improvements over the ST models, and is still cheaper (less-expensive, that is)!

Hope this helps - feel free to hit us with more questions, and look at the satisfied owners posts here.  We have added about 400 members in the last year, which is pretty impressive, in my opinion!  This forum is fast becoming the premiere "manufacturer's" forum on the web, built by satisfied owners.  Hope to see you join the family! 8)

edit:  I realized I said there were 3 latches on the #3; there are 2.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:34:54 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 07:41:03 PM »
Hey Bmann, I mentioned how active our forum is, so I thought I'd compare stats.  This was eye-opening, and tells me how satisfied (and active) SI owners are!  Check this out (just pulled these numbers from the ST and SI forums):

ST:
Members: 2,064
Threads:  782

SI:
Members: 549
Threads:  921

Notice anything?  We have 1/4th the members, but more than twice the posts, all in just over 1 year!  That should speak to the satisfaction of SI owners. ;D

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:45:32 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

rickne

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 07:43:56 PM »
I thought there was a size difference but was too lazy to look it up. 

Smoking ribs with out cutting them in the #3!!!

Packer brisket...  no problem in the #3.

BMann

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 09:05:38 PM »
Rickne and DivotMaker, thanks for responding. I thought I had my mind made up today on he ST. I do like the double latched door, bigger box, and larger element.

Let me ask another question. I am going to want to use this for family functions, feeding around 50 people. So I think the #3 would be great for that many pork Butts. I will also want to use it for just my family. Will the bigger box of the #3 be fine for doing a single chicken or smaller cuts for just the family?

I am trying to think of more questions for you guys.

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 09:30:28 PM »
Bmann, you can always cook the smallest amounts in a larger unit, but you cannot cook more in a smaller one.  Many owners do a single chicken, 1 pork butt, or a single rack of ribs in their #3s.  Works just fine with small amounts, or large.  Knowing that you may be smoking for that many people at a time, I would definitely recommend the #3.
Tony from NW Arkansas

rickne

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 09:52:26 PM »
No issue at all with small cooks.

Definitely the #3 for larger cooks.  Electric cookers are a little slower on large cooks.  It just takes longer with loads of 38 degree meat.  The #3 not only has more capacity, but more air space and volume... which I think helps with larger cooks in this style smoker.

I don't always subscribe to "bigger is better".  I used to have a 18.5" Weber Smokey mountain.  I upgraded to the 22" because bigger must be better.  I regretted it.

BUT with the SI, I would take the #3 all day over the #2.

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 02:38:21 AM »
I posted a trade off matrix I ran at one point comparing the models ... Cost, shipping, watts, racks, area, etc.  cannot find post will look for spreadsheet ....
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

BMann

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 09:46:59 AM »
You guys are awesome!

Polish Q, I would love to see the matrix you put together.

I had some number written down, but I do not have them in front of me right now.

The 1400 and the #3 were going to be right at the same price after shipping. #3 was just a few cheeper. ST was also throwing in some extra stuff. Seafood rack and Rib Hangers.

ST was charging 30$ for shipping where SI was telling me to figure $110 shipping to Missouri.

Walt

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 11:48:23 AM »
I haven't heard anyone who actually uses the rib hooks, even if they own them.  I have a rib rack that I used once for a large (9 racks of baby backs) cook in my number 2.  The normal shelves are my preference but the rib rack in the top position allows for an extra 1-1/2. If cut in half each flat shelf will hold 2 racks in the #2.  The cold smoke plate is handy for cheese, fish, bacon.... The jerky dryer good for jerky, snack sticks or anything you need a lot of moisture removed from without cooking.  Seafood rack is nice to have as well.  Go with the 2 or 3 depending on your needs.

Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 03:00:02 PM »
Bmann, the shipping is more for a #3 because it weighs about 50 lbs more, and is a much larger box.  Walt's right about the rib hooks - never heard of anyone actually using them.  You can't go wrong with the #3.  Like Nike says..."Just Do It!"  lol.  Pretty sure Steve is including a cover now (about $30 value, I believe).
Tony from NW Arkansas

BMann

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 03:07:21 PM »
Thanks guys

I will let you know what I decided. Leaning towards the # 3 now

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 07:29:36 PM »
Glad to help!  As you've probably noticed, we're pretty thrilled with our smokers, and this company! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 07:13:56 AM »
Here is what I did.... I paid no shipping though...
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!