Author Topic: Trying to decide between Smokin-It or Smokin Tex  (Read 23090 times)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Trying to decide between Smokin-It or Smokin Tex
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 03:40:22 PM »
One other area to look at:  The cost of accessories and parts. SI rules the roost in this department.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

shomesmoke

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »
I purchased the #3 over the #2 about 18 months ago and it is the GREAT! Most of the time I smoke for just the 2 of us and it works great, but when we have friends over, I have cooked for as many as 20 with no problems.

Mark
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

Me2

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 02:03:47 PM »
I have a #2 and although it is just me at home I find that it is not too big. Generally load it up and then freeze the extra. I am convinced you will never regret getting a Smokin It product.
Martha
#2 happy owner, Georgetown, TX

es1025

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 04:35:36 PM »
I was faced with the same decision. I bought the #3 and have not looked back. I really like the 1200 watt heating element.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 07:11:38 PM »
Hi Bmann,

Welcome to the Smokin-it forum. I thought I would jump in to post my opinion.  I researched for 2-3 months  on all the forums and narrowed it down to Cookshack, Smokin It and Smokin Tex.  Listed below are my findings.

COOKSHACK
I heard good things about the cookshack, but the price point was too high and there units were smaller.  As well, if you look at replacement parts, the cookshack parts are substantially more to replace.  Cookshack also has a reputation for being In business for over 50 years and for being build in the USA, but you really are paying a premium just for the name.

SMOKIN TEX 1400
They have been in business for approx 12-14 years now and have also seemed to be doing well for themselves. I called customer service and got an answer right away, very friendly and willing to answer any question I had.  I was impressed at this point and leaning towards the 1400.  I liked what I saw.

SMOKIN IT #3
Bigger unit than the 1400 and bigger heating element (700 vs. 1200 watts).  Shelf size on the #3 allows for full racks of ribs or full packer brisket, double latched door, fully insulated and cheaper priced than the 1400. Replacement parts for both the 1400 and the #3 were comparable and a lot less expensive than the cookshack.  So I called customer service and Steve (the owner) picked up, answered all my questions, was honest and truthful and was a great pleasure to talk to.  Another advantage is 3 year warrantee for the SI vs. 2 years for the Tex.

MY DECISION
So which to choose.  We'll throughout this process, I always kept coming back to the SI #3 for whatever reason, but was always hesitant because there was more info available online about cookshack and smokin tex. But personally I believe this is only because they were around longer while Smokin It was a more recent start up. As much as I kept coming back to Smokin It, I was considering the Tex because they have been around longer but I also didn't want to sacrifice on size.

I finally decided to go with the Smokin It #3 as I was impressed with the shelf size, heating element, warrantee and price.  All I can say is WOW.  this unit blows me away and it was the best decision I ever made and I never looked back. I  drove from Toronto to Ohio to pick this unit up. I ended up picking up 2 units as a friend of mine wanted one as we'll.  I met up with Steve to pick up the units and he was so helpful and backs his products up 100%.
This unit is so well built, fully insulated, the capacity is amazing and you will love it as soon as you lay eyes on it. You can easily get 8 full racks of ribs with the existing 4 shelves and 10 racks if you buy an additional self. You will not be disappointed. I also bought the jerky dryer and  that works great.

The SI forum is great, everyone is friendly and always willing to help. Once you make your decision, let us know.  My wife was a bit jealous because the smoker got more attention than she did when I first bought it, but with the product this thing delivers, we'll lets just say she is willing to compromise.  Good Luck.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:19:11 PM by Smokster »
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 07:17:34 PM »
Hey Bmann, any updates?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

edensexp

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 07:16:53 PM »
Hi Bmann!  Welcome to the forum!

You are comparing the ST 1400 to the SI Model 3:  A little bit "apples and oranges."  I say this because of the size and capacity.  The 1400 is much more comparable in size to the Model 2 (1400 has 14.5" x 14.5" shelves, and the Model 2 has 15" x 15" shelves.  The Model 3 shelves are 15" x 20":  that means you can easily fit a full packer-cut brisket in there; can't do that in a 1400.

Heating elements:  The 1400 has a 700w element, same as the Model 2.  The Model 3 is 1200 watts - big difference.

All stainless steel construction in both brands, same amount of insulation.  Many of us have smoked in sub-zero temps with no problems.  Check out some of the cold weather use posts, there are lots of them.  Also, the inside and smoke boxes are virtually identical between the 2 brands.

Door latches:  These types of smokers use a compression-fit door (no gasket).  The latch(es) actually compress the door against the frame to seal it.  The 1400 has one latch (insufficient, in my opinion, for that size door).  One is fine on the Model 1, but not the Model 2 or 3; that's why there are 2 latches on the Model 2 and 3.  Seals the door much better.

Wheels:  The 1400 has small wheels, whereas all the Smokin-It models have larger, heavy-duty castors, 2 locking.  May seem like a small thing, but makes a big difference when moving the smoker. 

"Set and forget:"  Yes!  The SI units are absolutely set and forget!  If you spend much time reading through the boards here, you will see that reinforced many, many times!  They work exactly the same as the ST models!

Here's my opinion on what makes this such an easy decision:

Price:  The 1400 is showing $595 on the ST website.  You can get a Model 2 for $399.  Almost $200 cheaper for the same size smoker.  If you need the capacity, the Model 3 is still $100 cheaper, and a whole lot bigger!  No brainer.

Warranty:  ST has 2 years, SI has a 3 year warranty.

Customer Service:  You absolutely will not find better customer service than with Smokin-It!  When you call "customer support," you get a guy named Steve, who just happens to be the owner of the company!  That doesn't happen very often!  I can also personally endorse the service you will receive, and tell you that you won't find a finer group of people to deal with.  Steve will bend over backwards to keep a customer happy.

Bottom line?  I did the same research when I bought my Model 1 a year ago, and am so glad I made the decision I did.  The reason you are finding many more reviews for the STs is they've been around longer.  SI is hands-down more value for the dollar, and I believe has several improvements over the ST models, and is still cheaper (less-expensive, that is)!

Hope this helps - feel free to hit us with more questions, and look at the satisfied owners posts here.  We have added about 400 members in the last year, which is pretty impressive, in my opinion!  This forum is fast becoming the premiere "manufacturer's" forum on the web, built by satisfied owners.  Hope to see you join the family! 8)

edit:  I realized I said there were 3 latches on the #3; there are 2.

So I see this post is from awhile back. Have these gone up that much in price. The ST is still $595 but the SI #2 is $499 and the SI#3 is $699? Is it still a better deal? I'm trying to decide between the 2.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 07:52:40 PM »
So I see this post is from awhile back. Have these gone up that much in price. The ST is still $595 but the SI #2 is $499 and the SI#3 is $699? Is it still a better deal? I'm trying to decide between the 2.

If you have done the research on electric smokers, and compared the smokers feature by feature including size and warranty, SI is still the best bang for the buck.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:54:42 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 09:10:12 PM »
Don't quote me on it but back in the day the cost didn't include shipping.  Now, I believe it is included.  That cost was anywhere from $100 to $200 depending on size and distance.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 05:55:01 AM »
Welcome Eden!  SI is still the best bang for the buck, especially when you consider inside dimensions, shipping, features and warranty.  The SI smokers are also NSF-Certified, which is a big deal in the food service industry, ST is not.  Do side-by-side comparisons and you will see.  The quality of the SI is certainly not debated - they're great!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

EFGM

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 06:41:04 AM »
First, welcome to the group!

I have owned both and I can personally say that the customer service and support from SMOKIN-IT is the best in the Q world, not to mention the side by side product comparison mentioned previously. You owe it to yourself!
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2018, 10:30:01 PM »

I bought my SI #2 in November 2016 and paid $428.99 for the smoker + $64.22 for shipping for a total of $493.21.  The price including shipping is now $499.99, so there really isn't much difference.  I live in the greater Dallas, TX area which actually puts me ~30-40 minutes away from the Smokin-Tex home.  I nearly bought a Smokin-Tex, but have been super happy with the choice to go with SI instead.  I remember at the time thinking about the fact I'd have to pay shipping vs. picking it up locally.  However, I was able to buy accessories and pay shipping with SI and still save money over the Tex option.  I also got a slightly larger smoker, excellent support, and a community that is priceless.

There is no question that if I had it to do over that I'd go with Smokin-It again...
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...