Author Topic: BRINED & ROASTED TURKEY BREAST (Thanks, MortonSalt.com)  (Read 3492 times)

1stlink

BRINED & ROASTED TURKEY BREAST (Thanks, MortonSalt.com)
« on: March 11, 2014, 07:39:56 AM »
BRINED & ROASTED TURKEY BREAST
Brined & Roasted Turkey Breast
Recipe Summary
Turkey loses its natural juices the longer it cooks. Fortunately, we have the solution - brining. Brining locks in a turkey's natural juices, so it won't dry out during the roasting process, ensuring the perfect centerpiece for a flavorful feast.

Main Dish
Prep Time: 10 hours
Servings: 10
RECIPE
Ingredients
1-1/2 cups Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/2 gallons of cool water
1 6 to 8 pound fresh, whole, bone-in skin-on turkey breast, rinsed & patted dry
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided (3 Tbsp. softened; 1 Tbsp. melted)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup white wine, chicken broth or water
Directions
5 hour Brine:
Combine Morton® Kosher Salt and sugar in cool water in a large, clean stockpot until completely dissolved. Place the turkey breast in the brine until completely submerged. Cover and refrigerate for 5 hours. Remove the turkey breast from the brine, rinse inside and out under cool running water; pat dry with paper towel.

Overnight Brine:
To brine turkey breast overnight or up to 14 hours, use 3/4 cup Morton® Coarse Kosher Salt and 3/4 cup sugar. Cover and refrigerate.

To Roast:
Mix the softened butter with the pepper. Place turkey breast on rack in roasting pan. Rub the seasoned butter under the breast skin. Brush the skin with the melted butter. Pour the ½ cup liquid (wine, broth or water) over the pan bottom to prevent drippings from burning. Roast turkey breast at 450° F for 15 minutes, then rotate the roasting pan. Continue roasting until the skin turns golden brown, an additional 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325° F; continue to roast, rotating the pan once about halfway through cooking, until the minimum internal temperature reaches 165° F., 30 to 45 minutes longer. Remove the turkey breast from the oven. Let stand 20 minutes before carving.

Tips:
· Internal temperature guidelines courtesy of USDA Food Safety Facts.
· Do NOT brine turkey breast if it includes “basting” liquids that contain salt.
· If you purchase a turkey breast with a pop-up timer, leave it in place and ignore it. If removed, the timer will leave a gaping hole for juices to escape.

Useful information except for the cooking method. More information and recipes on Mortonsalt.com

Rhino55

Re: BRINED & ROASTED TURKEY BREAST (Thanks, MortonSalt.com)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 02:37:56 PM »
Just a suggestion- I would suggest a dry brine instead.  It keeps the moisture in at least as good, but none of the flavor leeches out like it does with a wet brine.

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: BRINED & ROASTED TURKEY BREAST (Thanks, MortonSalt.com)
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 08:41:17 PM »
I thought that part of the wet brine is that some of the flavor (seasoning) of the brine would leach in...  am I nuts?  Are the brine kits full of spices just snake oil?

Just a suggestion- I would suggest a dry brine instead.  It keeps the moisture in at least as good, but none of the flavor leeches out like it does with a wet brine.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...