Author Topic: Temperature problems  (Read 34702 times)

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Temperature problems
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 07:31:14 PM »
Good point about adjusting the controller. Here is the link FYI:

http://www.smokin-it.com/Articles.asp?ID=251
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 07:32:08 PM »
I did a tri tip the other day with the water pan and I was at least able to get to temp. Sure it fluctuated but it at least kept a high enough temperature.
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

Walt

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 07:36:03 PM »
That seems very odd that you get different results on different days.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

rickne

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 07:48:32 PM »
Water pans will hurt your temps.  Don't use them.  There really is no need.

The reason you have different temps on different cooks is the amount of meat.  Not sure if it has to do with MASS or SURFACE AREA (or both).

Your controller runs just like mine.  Either invest in an Auber or get used to long slow cooks.  I would NOT recommend the "thermostat adjustment".  It does not adjust the thermostat, it changes the orientation of the knob.  You won't get any more heat out of it with the adjusted knob.  Just a crooked knob. 

I cook with an Auber... except tonight (see BEEF section "Packer time").  I had to revert back due to an auber failure.  I fully expect to run at 200 degrees for 24 hours to try to get this 15lb packer done.

Placement of the maverick probe will give you different temps.  Above your meat will read much cooler.  Even next to your meat will read pretty cool.  I actually put the maverick probe BELOW the meat just so I know how much heat is hitting the brisket.  I'm fluctuating from 190 to 202...  below the meat.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 08:07:57 PM »
That is not very assuring Rick ;) I am about to take the ribs off in about 30-45 minutes so we will see the results. I need to figure out the temp issues. I think I am going to run it some more tonight to see how it compares to my initial seasoning temps.
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

Walt

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »
After doing a onceover twice, if you still havnt figured out what's wrong they will stand by the product.  The unit is simple.  If something is defective it could only be a couple possibilities.  Sorry your having issues but the vast majority of us have no issues reaching temp without a PID.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 09:31:25 PM »
We just finished dinner, an hour later than we had planned.. The ribs turned out well in spite of the unit not being able to get up to an appropriate temperature. They were moist/juicy without foiling. They went for about 5.5 hours or so, could have gone a little longer but had to eat as the kiddos and wife were starving.

As soon as I took the ribs out I let the unit continue to run at 250. While I was cooking the temp never got above 119 or so. Shortly after I took the ribs out it shot up to 250 and stabilized for awhile. I will have to give Steve a ring because this is definitely not cool. These were the fears I had addressed before purchasing. I will do another post with pics and the details of the temps/smoking.

Thanks for the help during this smoke guys!
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 09:55:21 PM »
that is a really odd case there, never really heard of too many having super low heating issues
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 09:59:08 PM »
Glad to hear the ribs turned out good.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 10:00:17 PM »
Mikey,

Let me get this straight:  You cooked 3 racks of baby backs for 5.5 hours, and they turned out good.  You say they could have used a little more.  How much more?  Were they tender and moist, or not fully-cooked?  I usually take 5.75+ hours to cook 3 racks of baby backs, so your timeline is about right.

Your problem is most likely probe placement, not the smoker itself.  If it was really only getting up to the low temps you indicated, your ribs would NOT have been edible at 5.5 hours!  Before going into panic-mode, I think you need to evaluate your temp probe placement, and try different locations (like below the meat).

Not trying to diminish your concerns, but we've seen this issue before.  The results of the smoke are great, but the analysis of the smoke may be faulty.  It seems, from your posts, that everything was going totally wrong, yet the ribs were good. ???   And then, when you removed the meat, the smoker magically shot back up to temp?  This is probe placement, plain and simple.  I saw this issue while testing the digital model 2; moving the probe (Maverick) during a smoke would make it vary as much as 20 degrees! 

Maybe you smoke something like a Boston butt, and leave the box probe out (I rarely use mine).  Put the meat probe in, set your temp to 225, and let your SI do its thing.  If, in a reasonable amount of time (1-2 hours per pound) your meat is not done, you'll know you have a problem with the smoker, not instrumentation problems.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2014, 10:08:59 PM »
I was about ready to send my reply and then Tony nailed it with his post. I'm going to send mine just because I had it ready and also to agree with Tony's points.

Baby backs take about 5-6 hours. So, if yours were done in 5 1/2 hours, I am wondering if the location of your temperature probe was not the cause of your reported low temperatures. I could be with better placement of the smoker probe, your temps would have been higher.

On your next smoke, I would suggest placing the smoker clip on the bottom of the rack your meat is on and off to the side of the smoker instead of directly in the middle next to the meat. I think you may get a more accurate reading.

If you took your ribs out in 5 1/2 hours and your ribs were done, moist, and tender, I would call it a good smoke.

If you planned on eating in 4 1/2 hours (an hour earlier), I think you were underestimating the amount of time the ribs should take to cook.

This doesn't mean that you still may not have a problem. My point is that it does not appear to be as dire as it would seam.

Let us know what you hear back from Steve.

P.S. In regard to the benefits or lack thereof for the water pan, I have run the water pan in both of my Smokin-It smokes with awesome results and countless times in my other electric and propane smokers and not found that it hurt my temps. From what I have read here in the threads with the Smokin-It smokers, the ones that experience problems are the ones that place the water pan on a rack beneath the meat. If you place it on the bottom of the smoker next to the smoker box, I think it will only help with your temp concerns. But that is just my opinion based on my experience with my smokers.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2014, 10:47:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys. I have been smoking for years and in the last year I have been doing small caters with a WSM. So, I know a little bit about temperature and smoking times. At 250 these ribs should have been done in 4.5 hours. I have made well over 100 ribs in a WSM at 250 and they come out amazing. Typically you place your probe where your meat is so you can measure the temp where your actual meat is. I did move the temp probe at one point on the rack with only 1 rib and I did it as far from the rib as possible.

Still had the same issue.. I am assuming that since the ribs were edible and moist the temp was probably 10-15 degrees off from the probe for whatever reason. So that means that while the dial was set to 250 the unit was reading on average 215 so I am assuming the actual temp was around 225. That would make sense since many people post that cooking the ribs at 225 for 5.5 hours or so made for them good ribs.

My apologies for "freaking" out about this but for the last couple of years I debated getting electric because I have been so fond of my WSM with stellar results. However, my catering demand is growing and I need more room and more set it and forget it temps for my smokes. I know it is premature considering this is only my 3rd time using it but I fear it is not what I expected. I have a wedding coming up that I really needed this for so I need some reliability.

I will re-test my probe and play around with placement, but I guarantee, this things was set to 250 but was not smoking at 250, or even really close to that.
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2014, 10:57:01 PM »
Tony- Wasnt it you that posted 3 baby backs on the digital unit with a total cook time of 5 hours and 15 minutes? What temp was that smoking at exactly?

Is the auber more accurate than the digital unit you were using?
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

TheSneakyZebra

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2014, 11:37:04 PM »
Just got done testing my probes. My maverick grill probe & food probe read within 1-2 degrees of each other when placed in hot water and both were about 2 degrees away from my thermopen. I was kind of hoping my probe was bad.
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2014, 12:16:20 AM »
You're right, at 250 for four hours they should have been done.

How many times did you open the smoker? These units do recover fast, but that could affect the timing/temp.
Gregg - Fargo, ND